CPU Over heating

I will check temps using other programs suggested, will edit with results.

It is a weird request but when I take off the cpu fan and look at the thermal compound, if I used to rice grain method how should it look now after about 2 hours of being off and sitting there.

Depends on the cooler and pressure. Should be a dot that fills 3/4 the IHS if spread properly using grain of rice method and the stock cooler has proper amount of pressure on the IHS.

The cpu fan had a sqaure of thermal compound while the cpu itself had like a gap in the middle where it had no thermal compound even though on each side of the gap it had thermal compound.

Kinda like this:
1zp7j11.png

On the other hand I downloaded the 2 suggested programs and here are the results:

2e58h35.png
- CPUID Hardware Monitor

If you get a spread like that while putting a grain of rice sized amount in the center then you definitely have mount issues. Have you tried gently pressing on the center of the heatsink above the fan like I suggested? You can do this while it's running too. Actually if you do this while it's on and the heatsink makes proper contact the temps should drop.

Just for extra information the cool fan I am using is a Kuhler h2o 620 from antec.

I have gently pressed down on it while it has been on and there has been no sudden drop in temperature to my knowledge. I am going to take the fan off now and see how the thermal compound looks.

That is information you probably should have started out with. We were probably ALL thinking you had the stock fan.

When you touch the part on your CPU (that would be the pump) do you feel vibrations? If not, the pump died and it needs to be replaced. It will give off that slight vibration like a fish tank.

If you just bought it, make sure all power cables are plugged in properly.

Before I check that, as im just putting it back together would you suggest going to 1150/2011 or staying with 1155?

No point in upgrading right now. Your CPU is 100% fine if you're a gamer or avid productivity user.

A more correct listup would be 1155/2011 to 1150/2011-3 (release in a few days). No tangible benefits going to Haswell or Haswell-E unless you just need the raw horsepower from a 6 core.

Back
Top Bottom