cpu help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norcent

Banned
Ok so i bought an amd athlon 64 3500+ 2 months ago and didn't use thermal compound cause it allready had it on the bottom of the fan.

My motherboard fried and I am getting a new one so would i have to use thermal compound this time?

I didn't touch the thermal compound thats on the fan or cpu so i don't think i do but i just want to make sure.

Another question:

if the processor smells bad that is the only way to tell its fried right?

So if my processor smells fine it is fine right?

Hello,

...Yep, I'd clean the existing thermal pad gunk using isopropyl alcohol, isoclene or some other thermal interface material cleaner, and apply some thermal compound - it's works better.

Also, every time you remove the heatsink from the CPU, you should clean the thermal interface material from both the CPU and heatsink base, then apply a fresh coat of thermal interface material (whether it be a thermal pad, thermal paste, or thermal compound).

And, about the whole 'frying' issue. How did your motherboard get fried? Was it because of a component on the motherboard (like a capacitor) or was it because the CPU overheated?

Taking into account that the motherboard has been fried to death, I'm guessing the CPU overheated and fried the motherboard. So if the CPU is to blame for frying the mobo to death, then it's unlikely that the CPU itself is in a healthy condition either.

...I suppose you'll find out if the CPU works when you slot it into your new motherboard and test it.

I put superglue on my pci express slot and the motherboard hasn't worked since and the graphics card hasn't worked either.

Norcent said:
I put superglue on my pci express slot and the motherboard hasn't worked since and the graphics card hasn't worked either.

...An accident :freak: :confused:?

Anyways, in that case I'd imagine your CPU is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom