CPU heatsink upgrade

It s not so much a temp I an expecting to see versus wanting the processor as cool as reasonably possible as I believe that the cooler something is the longer it lasts.

Of course I'm used to motherboards where there's space enough to install a larger heatsink for better cooling.

I'll pick up some new thermal grease tomorrow.

Unfortunately I see nothing in BIOS that would allow for overclocking.

Last edited:
Tried new heatsink grease and it didn't help.

I'll order that heatsink and figure out how to install a fan on it.

I did need some heatsink grease anyways as I was out and like to keep some on hand.

Last edited:
I got the heatsink installed.

It is pretty much like the original only the fins are a bit taller.

I've got the fan mounted. Just used the original mount for the original heatsink and pressed the sides in so that it is friction fit for now until I can think of a better way.

Temperature is a good 10F cooler and takes longer to increase in temperature from when the computer is first turned on when doing what I had the computer doing when I took the initial temperature reading.

Depending on the program I use I'm either at 132F or 142F.

I tried looking online at the processor specs to see if there's any temperature offset, but didn't see that spec listed as one of the programs allows the temperature offset to be entered so the temperature display is correct.

I did get it a little cooler and it isn't so fast to heat up so I'm satisfied.

I could do much better if I wasn't limited to a 40mm fan and a 60mm to 40mm fan adapter would actually fit.

That's a great improvement. To make sure, do an all-core stress test with a software like CPU-Z for 10 minutes or so and see temp. behavior. Monitor it live for a moment to see how hard it spikes. If it doesn't go hard, you can come back after the 10 mins. Make sure the temp. monitor has a graph that keeps history to know the change consistency.

Good luck.

I'll try that today.

Would really like to install a fan with higher airflow, but that would mean a 60mm fan and no adapter would fit given the extreme close proximity of the heatsink to the RAM plus the adapter would have to be 10mm or less in height.

Perhaps I could get a small blower with tach and use that so long as the blower is 20mm or less in height and the inlet is 40mm or less.

The current fan you managed to fit might as well be enough. Consider the airflow of the case/chassis as well. If you did the tests with the cover open, then managing case's airflow is not the issue.

All in all, stress testing should clear things up for now.

The case was closed, but it has three 60mm fans on the bottom to move air out of the case.

The air is a little above room temperature.

Sure the fan may be enough, but I always like things to be as cool as possible.

Doing the stress test with CPU-Z I am at 149F or 158F depending which program I look at.

Will let it run a bit longer and see what temp I am at.

Last edited:
I ran an online stress test that does 64 threads max and 100% load max.

cpux.net/cpu-stress-test-online

Temperature rose to 171F.

That is either

the fan being so close to the case top reducing airflow

OR

the fan picking up heated air inside the case.

So I put an approximate 60mm square hole in the case where the fan inlet is so that the fan had a way to draw in room temperature air and so it would not be restricted by anything.

Rerunning the test now. Will report back when the CPU has reached its highest temperature.

That said I could move the hard drive (power cable is over part of that hole) and enlarge the hole to where I can mount a 60mm fan which will blow down on the heatsink.

EDIT:

Been a few minutes and it is steady at 151F.

EDIT 2:

Here's a photo of the final results

Attachments

• CPU test.jpg
    CPU test.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Can't get much better than this. Seeking the absolute cool temp. will only make you a researcher with much harder life, not a user. Getting within the common safe range is the way to go. With no overclocking in mind, this is the typical result to keep. Just make sure you get the max clock speed with CPU utilization. Look up the right clock speeds with different combination of cores working at the same time and make sure you get it under the clock field to get what the CPU was made to give.

Back
Top Bottom