CPU and RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
Wow... I know, a lot of posts for one night... but this is it.

Quickly let me explain where I am. I decided to bring my processor down and start trying to overclock my RAM and keep it going up with the FSB. Given, it is value RAM, but it is the same value RAM that is in my other post, so I figured why not? I am stable at these two spots.

Overclock 1:
FSB.....................250 MHz
CPU....................250 MHz x 9 = 2250 MHz
RAM:FSB ratio......5:6
RAM....................~208 MHz

Overclock 2:
FSB.....................225 MHz
CPU....................225 MHz x 9 = 2025 MHz
RAM:FSB ratio......1:1
RAM....................225 MHz

You'll notice that in Overclock 2, my RAM has a 1:1 ratio with the FSB, and as I've been reading, this is what I want so that nothing bottlenecks and everything can communicate alright. However, in Overclock 1, my CPU reached a higher clock speed with the RAM and FSB at a different frequency. My question is fairly simple to the pros, I am sure. What is the better overclock? Sacrificing the clock speed for the 1:1 ratio, or letting the RAM run a little slower than the FSB for a faster clock speed?

neither of those is better....the better overclock would be to RUN the CPU up at 250 and the RAM up at 225 since it can apparently handle that. Although it's still technically a bottle neck that would give you better performance than both aforementioned solutions, not to mention your overall clock speed would be the same as OC1

I wish I could do that, but I cannot. Because of the way the divider works, the highest I can put it when the FSB is at 250 is 250 and the next highest is about 208. Maybe I can push the FSB up to 270 or so... I'll have to give it a try.

Anyway, if I had to pick between those two, which is better?

Run a few synthetic benchmarks and decide for yourself......that's about the best way you could honestly do it.....of course a higher clock of 225MHz is pretty hefty over the other, but you'd have to see how much of an increase in memory bandwidth you get from raising the RAM.....a test like 3dmark01 and aquamark should give you a decent idea as to which actually causes the system to run better.

EDIT: The amds can handle the high HTT no problem as long as you remember to lower your multi of course, and also lower the LDT multi that will by default be set to 5x......for 270 it should be down to 3x.....at 250 it should be at 4x

Yeah, that is what I was thinking also. Is it better to have an LDT of 4x with the FSB at 250 MHz and CPU running at 2250 MHz, or an LDT of 3x with the FSB at 260 MHz with the CPU running at 2340 MHz?

What Nubius basically said was, run everything at the maximum OC that you can, and that will be getting the highest OC.

Argh... I tried boosting the CPU by putting the FSB at 270 and I seperated the RAM and FSB by 5:6 so that it should run at 225 MHz or DDR 450, and dogonnit, that "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." won't come up. It has to be something with the RAM... any ideas?

Okay... I managed to pull this out.

Overclock 3
FSB.....................260 MHz
CPU....................260 MHz x 9 = 2340 MHz
RAM:FSB ratio......5:6
RAM....................~213 MHz

This works better than both of the above overclock options that I did, so I think I'm going to stay here for a while...

Argh... nope, it was slightly unstable. I had to revert to Overclock 1. Why can I not get the RAM to follow up to 220 MHz when the CPU is higher like that? It can handle it when the FSB is at 220 MHz also, but when the FSB goes to 265 or so and there is a seperator so the RAM should be at about 215 or 220, the RAM can't take it. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom