Couple of Questions [Soundcard, TV Tuner, and SSD]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solaxys

Baseband Member
1. Soundcard: [for PCI slot] Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim.
Is that decent for gaming as well?
[It does have the inbuilt 3D accuracy]
ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim Low Profile PCI Sound Card HDMI1.3 Dolby TrueHD DTS HD-MASTER Bluray Audio
NCIX.com - Buy ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim Low Profile PCI Sound Card HDMI1.3 Dolby TrueHD DTS HD-MASTER Bluray Audio - XONAR HDAV1.3 Slim In Canada.

- While PCI-e is more future proof, I am sure whenever I would want to upgrade I can just get a PCI-e card.
- As of now though I want the PCI slot one, just so that I can keep a QUAD SLI option (both running at x16) open on an evga x58 sli [1xpciex16; 1xpciex16/x8; 1xpciex8; 1pciex1; 2xpci]
- As for suggestions, the sound card should have a bluray audio support and possibly playback, gaming [5.1 really, my room's not that giant for a 7.1], and music/movies - casual really

was looking into:
Asus Xonar D2 Ultra Fidelity 7.1 PCI Sound Card
Buy the Asus Xonar D2 Ultra Fidelity 7.1 PCI Sound Card at TigerDirect.ca

However I don't know if it has bluray support.

2. TV Tuner:
Are there any good external TV Tuners that would provide HD TV (1080p)(via analog cable, not really interested in OTA - the one from Rogers if you live in Canada), record and playback (capture), and hook up to a console (Wii in my case)?
I've been browsing around and all have iffy reviews (don't need this from newegg.ca or some online retail - can be from the company direct - want to get a good one, regardless of cost [but hopefully under 200 bucks lol])

3. SSD:
Corsair P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D 2.5" 128GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail
Newegg.ca - Corsair P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D 2.5" 128GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks
or
Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G1 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail
Newegg.ca - Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G1 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

- using hte SSD for OS, Photoshop, Office, RefManager, MMORPGs, and possibly high end gaming [like Dragon Age - 20GB] - which I'll transfer over to the 1.5TB HDD after I beat it.

Nonetheless, I am looking towards Corsair - seems to have better stats. but your pref?

---
TY for your help =).
Almost done finalizing parts, and want to order the parts next week - and finish building it before university starts.

Don't know much about TV tuners, I've heard good things about the sound card though.

You'd be best going with the Corsair SSD over the Intel one.

Don't know much about TV tuners, I've heard good things about the sound card though.

You'd be best going with the Corsair SSD over the Intel one.

HT | OMEGA Claro Halo 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier - Retail
Newegg.com - HT | OMEGA Claro Halo 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier - Sound Cards

That one looks very nice as well, and it's more all-around oriented with gaming, music, and movies. And it has the same bitrate that a blu-ray audio requires even though it doesn't boast it has the "support" like HDAV 1.3 does.

Not really sure - any other comments?

I don't know if you really are going to get anything out of spending that much on a sound card.. Most motherboards come with pretty decent onboard sound now. I'd try that out for a while and only upgrade the sound card if you aren't happy with the onboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom