Counter Strike and Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law

Fully Optimized
A friend of mine was complaining that when he tries to play CS1 he kept getting kick out of every server. So he asks me to come check it out. I went there, check out his network devices and computer, etc etc..

He's being kicked out because of his router. I immediately connected his computer directly to the cable modem and it work fine. So now what I've tried to do was check his old POS router the linksys befsr41 v2 and put his computer into the DMZ, this is suppose to solve all the problems but it didn't.

I've already tried the port forwarding crap http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/BEFSR41v2/Counter_Strike.htm and no it doesn't work and it shouldn't, because there's no need to do any port forwarding if he's in the DMZ and he's not hosting any game. I've disable "Block WAN request" feature on his router, this causes many people not to be able to ping his WAN interface so that didn't really help solve anything. This is not a software firwall issue or OS, because nothing was touch while connected to the modem and the game work fine.

So conclusion, I've Google around and a lot of people are having the same issue with no result. I think I have tried everything and came to the conclusion his router was just a stupid POS. Anyone ran into this issue and had to buy a new router? What type of router (brand and model) that help? He has a friend who's using a router (netgear rs614) without any problem and we might just need to get a new one.

Thanks for your time.

If it's not a wireless router, go pick up a new one, they are pretty cheap. I got one for like 10 bucks.

apokalipse said:
what kind of router is it, and how'd you get it for $10?

It's a linksys, and I got it through a computer guy so there may have been a discount. It's just a 5 port router, nothing special.

He shouldn't have any problems with that router, I played counter-strike thru it perfectly for years and still can. The V2's are a bit slow, but their a damned stable router :)

DJ-CHRIS said:
He shouldn't have any problems with that router, I played counter-strike thru it perfectly for years and still can. The V2's are a bit slow, but their a damned stable router :)

He never had any problem playing any other games through this router, the problem is only with CS. He has Steam and an account that allows him to download CS, so that might be a little different of a setup then your setup?

The router is ok, he had it for over 4 year with no problem, I just can't figure why this is causing him to get kick out of any server in CS.

All IP address is statically setup, DHCP is disable for the LAN. Firmware is updated along time ago. My conclusion right now is the router is causing high ping and he's being kick out because of lagging or this particular one he has is just a POS. We're out to buy a new one, it won't be linksys though. Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom