Could use someone expertise..please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leary

Solid State Member
Hi
I been pondering on building my first computer for over a year and slowly been buying components a little at a time. Finding a deal here and (when I could afford it) a deal there. I realize now that wasnÂ’t the best plan cause of how fast technology changes so my components arenÂ’t the best match. Oh well, anyway Â….listed below are my components and with the last one purchased being the video card.

My question is if my PSU can handle the X1900XTX Ice-3 graphic card which requirements says 30A on a 12V rail. I really donÂ’t understand power specs very well so IÂ’ll list what they are and hope someone can tell me if its got what it takes to drive this card. Thanks in advance.

My components are:
• AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.40GHz OEM Processor
• Gigabyte K8NE NVIDIA Socket 754 ATX Motherboard Chipset: NVIDIA nForce4 4x Front Side Bus: 1600MHz
• 1 GIG of fast PC-3200 RAM DDR400
• HIS X1900XTX IceQ3 Dual DL-DVI VIVO 512MB PCIe-Video Card
• Seagate S-ATA-150 250MB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
• CREATIVE|SB0570 AUDIGY SE RT Sound Card
• Lite-On 52x32x52x+16x DVD/CD-RW Combo
• CD/RW & Floppy
• Mid ATX 600W Supercooled w/ LEDCase

PSU SPECS:
AC INPUT
115V/230V 10A/5A 60/50Hz

DC OUTPUT
+3.3V
+5V
+12V
-12V
-5V
+5VSB

600W
Max
Combined
Watts
28A
40A
18A
1.0A
1.0A
3.0A

Dont even bother wasting your money on a s754 system. Those CPU's are several generations outdated. Go with a socket AM2 CPU. It really makes no sense pairing a great video card like the X1900XTX with a s754 CPU.

Thanks. As I mentioned, I bought these components over the past year and the MB/CPU bundle was the first item ($129). I realize there is no upgradability, no duel channel ram, but a new good MB and Cpu is not in the budjet so I have to live with my past (poor) decsions. This is my first build and I'm trying to make the least mistakes possible (though I'm sure I'll make more).

I still need to know if I can safely run this card with my present PSU.

john3 said:
what is the NAME and model of ur psu, then we could tell u.

It came with the case.

Name:
LEAD POWER SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY

Model:
LEAD-600 (600W MAX)

I had tried Googling it before posting here...with no luck.

how about survive with what you got for the moment its not that bad, save for the rest of the year, and next year sell you're current rig for as much as you can and buy a **** of a comptuer powerd by those new quad cores cpus and new dx10 hardwares.

Its just not beneficial to buy stuff at this moment

-Jo

im gonna guess youll be okay with the psu that came with that case. my friend has it. but dont quote me on this.

leary said:
PSU SPECS:
AC INPUT
115V/230V 10A/5A 60/50Hz

DC OUTPUT
+3.3V
+5V
+12V
-12V
-5V
+5VSB

600W
Max
Combined
Watts
28A
40A
18A
1.0A
1.0A
3.0A

if i line up the rails to the amperages, it would look like there are 18Amperes on the 12V rail; i wouldn't even risk that with a mid-range card, let alone that monster x1900xtx.

definitely get yourself a high quality powersupply. sure, you've made some mistakes in this build, but with that x1900xtx in there, your comp will eat up any game no problem. you're good for a couple of years.

Thank you very much. I have asked this question on several other forums and no one has been able to provide a clear/good enough answer to make me feel comfortable to even consider breaking the seal on the card box. Its no surprise that half my investment is in the card alone.

So....(still being very ignorant in PSU matters) can you or anyone else provide a link to a power supply that meets the card requierments? Keeping in mind I don't need the 'Mercedes' of PSU's cause $$ is still an issue (though I realize skimping is why I'm in this situation).

CARD POWER REQUIERMENTS:

450W and 30A of current on a 12V rail.

leary said:
Thank you very much. I have asked this question on several other forums and no one has been able to provide a clear/good enough answer to make me feel comfortable to even consider breaking the seal on the card box. Its no surprise that half my investment is in the card alone.

So....(still being very ignorant in PSU matters) can you or anyone else provide a link to a power supply that meets the card requierments? Keeping in mind I don't need the 'Mercedes' of PSU's cause $$ is still an issue (though I realize skimping is why I'm in this situation).

CARD POWER REQUIERMENTS:

450W and 30A of current on a 12V rail.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=316506

look for it on Newegg, as ZZF is out of stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom