Could this be a scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
My Aunt is looking to buy a boat off of craigslist and she found one that sounds to good to be true. She found a 2006 Triton bass boat that has a 175 horse motor and all kinds of bells and whistles for only $3000. I am not sure what they retail new for but I am guessing 10 or 15,000 or maybe higher.

She emailed the seller about it and the seller sent her an email back saying she will only go through the Ebay vehicle purchase protection plan or something like that. What is this? Is this a good thing or not? Does this mean the boat is also listed on ebay? The seller also mentioned something about doing a quick sell. What is that?

The seller also said that she is donating the money to charity. Why would someone do that? According to my Aunt, she seen a pic of the boat and the house in the background looks like a castle, a really big house. I guess it is possible that she doesn't need the money.

Do you think this is a scam?

If it sounds to good to be true, chances are that it is. If it sounds like a scam, then it is.

Did she ask if the price is accurate? It's possible it is supposed to be $30,000 and it's just a typo. I would think that would be a more accurate price for a boat like that.

If it is a expensive boat ask why they are selling ti so cheep, to the untrained eye it might look in good knick but it could have a fractured keel, insufficient draft or god forbid be stolen. There is a BIG market in stolen boats or ones used for smuggling, for instance a few years ago the SBS took a larger posh launch that had just been sold to a new owner I am talking full fast roap and frigate backing them up, the new owners where legit but the first owners stuffed pure grade A heroin in every place they could with the intent of breaking into the boat later to get it.

If its on Ebay, it culd be an estate sale to charity.

But anyway, I'd never drop that much coin without an inperson examination.

Ebay seller 0protection is a smart idea btw.

I looked on ebay and did not see it listed. The Aunt told me that the house in the pic was a really big house, looked like a castle. I thought maybe they are pretty well off money wise and that is why they are donating the money and why it is so cheap.

I told her to go look at it and see about test driving it before doing anything. I am not sure if it is listed or not but the seller said she will only go through the ebay vehicle protection plan. I am not sure if you have to have the item listed on ebay to use the VPP. If you google ebay VPP spelled out, you get all kinds of links to scams. Some they the VPP does not even exist.

She would have to bid on it, It would be a buy it now type thing, and get qualified that way.

However reading the first link in the scam search, I bet it is a scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom