Could my CPU be Damaged?

tomcatguy74

Beta member
Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion A450e and lately it has been acting kinda weird.
My wife tells me that for the past couple of days it has constantly restarted itself many times while she was working on it. Finally it locks up and I shut it down. Now it will not start up. Once I press the power button it starts for like 1 second and dies. It will not boot or anything. So because its out of warrenty I decided to dig around in it. I started diconnecting things to see if it would come on with out that item installed. I tried the video card, memory, and finally the CPU itself. Once I took out the CPU the fans ran and everything. However once I put the CPU back in the computer would go back to not starting again. There was a HUGE heatsink ontop of it with a fan and I took the CPU off of it to make it easier to put in and take out. I did this several times and each time the fans and stuff would run with the CPU out and shut off 1 second after I pressed the power button with the CPU in.
I don't know squat about computers but this troubleshooting idea I had tells me it might be the CPU.

What do you all think?

Rob

Please help?

No, I doubt it unless it's been overclocked way to much and gotten damaged or has overheated and gotten damaged. You're probably looking at a motherboard problem.

I did this several times and each time the fans and stuff would run with the CPU out and shut off 1 second after I pressed the power button with the CPU in.
Is this a Pentium III/Athlon 64 or later? If so, then it could be overheating. Did you properly clean the CPU IHS and the cooler's base with isoproply alcohol before reseating?

Back
Top Bottom