Corruption problems/high unstable pc

mr_noname111

Beta member
Corruption problems/highly unstable pc

Hi guys, ever since building my computer in September, I've been having errors and corruption problems. I did some detective work concluded that the problem was the HD (ran the WD lifeguard diagnostics tool and saw error 225 "too many errors please contact WD"). So last week, I went and bought a WD 500GB AAKS HD. I thought I really had fixed the problem, but I'm STILL having corruption/CRC errors when extracting files and just tons of errors in general (ie programs randomly stopping, installations not working). Even as I was writing this post, my windows for some reason, by itself changed the visual settings to Windows Basic from Aero.

The next most likely problem is my RAM, so I ran Memtest 86 3.3 for 4 passes got no errors, as well as Memtest86+ 1.70 for 10 passes with no errors. BUT when I run the windows version of memtest (HCI Design memtest), I get hundreds of errors. What can this mean?

I've tried clocking my CPU back to stock, that didnt seem to help, I've tried running CHKDSK, (including searching for bad sectors + repair), I've upped the voltages on my ram to 2.2V, yet nothing seems to work!

My system is as follows:

E2160 @ 3ghz
Gigabyte P35 DS3R
OCZ 2x1GB Platinum Rev II
EVGA 8800GTS 320mb
OCZ 600W gameXstream
WD 500GB AAKS

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Sounds more like a software problem than hardware... I'd reinstall Vista in that situation.

Hi jesusfrk, thanks for your response. This problem has continued throughout 2 to 3 seperate fresh vista installations, so I dont think thats it. But to make 100% sure, im going to install winXP soon, and see if that makes any difference.

i dont know much about Vista but if u have done 2 to 3 fresh installs and still gotta problem then its either ur hardware not liking vista or theres something wrong with ur hardware..

BTW what kinda Anti virus do u have...

His anti virus has nothing to do with it...........

My guess would be the ram.. but name some actual specific problems.

I have Symantec antivirus.

Specific problems are mostly CRC failure when extracting files from .rar. There are many minor problems like some programs not working at times, then after reboot they start working. In Counterstrike Source, the graphics are missing (the weapons were invisible). The list goes on.

I am also thinking that it is the RAM, but on the OCZ RMA forums, they use Memtest86+ 1.70 as the basis for diagnosing problems. I ran it for 10 complete passes, and there were no errors whatsoever, so I'm not sure..

Also, I just ran Lifeguard Diagnostics on my new HD, just to make sure it isn't faulty. Ran the extended test, absolutely no errors. So my HD is good.

BTW: I am using Windows Vista Premium 32BIT that came with my brother's Dell laptop. Could it be possible that his OS is specifically designed for laptops and is causing these problems?

yes. I'm 90% sure that is the problem.

That comes with all the drivers for his computer, and if your computer doesn't have all those specs then you will have wrong drivers.

Try out XP, and OEM version of it.

Lemme know how it works.

Okay, I've spent the entire day trying to install windows XP, but I have failed due to a BSOD everytime i try to install and get into windows "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}"

So im back on Vista, and corruption problems are just as bad. I can't even download drivers for my video card!

I'm gonna try getting another copy of windows xp tomorrow, and see what happens.

But going back to my original post: Memtest86 and Memtest86+ dont give me any errors, but the HCI Design memtest gives me tons. Anyone have any insight as to whats going on here?

Back
Top Bottom