Correct Motherboard for Latitude 6510

Yankeemover

Beta member
Hi, I just purchased a motherboard off ebay and now may have found out it's the wrong one...:mad:

It was advertised to be for a Dell Latitude 6510 laptop which I have, but Dell finally got back to me after the fact and said the only compatible motherboards are WJ1RV and RM5K4. The one I bought is 0RJ4K???? Anyone know if I got scammed?

Well, for any particular series of laptops there can be several different boards. I'd look at the one you have, see if it have the features you want (like supporting the hardware you have).

You may have lucked out and found a board that actually has more/better stuff than your old one, so you got a bit of an upgrade. If not, see if you can effect a trade with the seller.

Thank you for the quick response. So I'm having a local repair place do the repairs for me. I guess I"ll assume this one will "Fit"..I'm just worried I won't be able to return it if they open it and find out it's completely wrong for this laptop....I know absolutely nothing about computer hardware. So am I to understand that this motherboard will prob "fit" but may not support the applications currently on the laptop? Sorry for being dumb!:confused:

What happened is my daughter had her work laptop at home and I tripped over our dog and spilled soda right on the keyboard!! I called Dell but they wanted as much to fix it as a new one would cost and I could not afford either of those scenarios. I don't want my daughter to loose her job so I'm trying to fix this laptop asap...the repair shop I use is great and has fixed all my computers in the past. They are giving me a great deal on the labor to swap the motherboards...but I'm sure if I buy the wrong one they won't be happy to have to do it twice!

Since nearly everything in a laptop is integrated into the motherboard, different feature combinations appear on the different boards. Your replacement board needs to be the same processor type (AMD or Intel) as the original, or the operating system will not boot up.

For the most part, the rest of the peripherals won't matter, though if you daughter requires a certain thing, like a serial port or something, then you need to make sure that port is there.

Back
Top Bottom