Core2Duo Summer temps alright?

Well I've got no AC here and its getting hot out. I noticed my temps slowly going up and decided I better turn my system down a bit until things cool back down.

I started at default voltage and went in small increaments. It looks like i'm probally going to be stuck around a 1.4Vcore. I ran Prime95 for 1hr to double check for errors.

Do you think these temps are alright? Through most of Prime95 i'm getting probally 63C on average. Although a few times it spikes to 67C. I know max is 65C but I heard the chips really can run higher than this. I guess from what I saw the chips don't actually throttle till 85C. So I was thinking 67C should be alright seeming how nothing is going to put it that high real world. I should probally add that each core temp maxed at 63C but the cpu overall measured 67C in everest.

I ran Everest's Stability test and it topped it out at 55-56C with a spike of 57C. Idol temps are 45C.

This was with a 1.4125 Vcore. Last I was at 1.3875 doing 3200mhz with Prime95 max temps @ 63C but got a error when I went for 3300mhz. So I may actually have some give inbetween the 2 Vcores I just have not got that far yet.

Should this be good for a summer clock? Motherboard gets to around 44C Max.

Well, as long as Prime didn't give any errors, it should be fine. Even if it does after a few hours, it's most likely okay to use because as you said, nothing really pushes it like Prime does.

Ya I figured if prime can run for an hour it should be alright. I did a couple 3Dmarks and it runs fine. What do you think a safe window would be for prime itself? 70C sound too high or should I just stop before I burn something up lol. I should add that was the blend test.

Oh...try the torture test. That's usually the standard test for testing stability.

If you get errors with the torture test relatively quickly, then you might want to turn it down a bit.

Basically I run a custom blend. That way I can set each core to use roughly 1.3gigs of ram. And stress the cores with fft's ranging from 8k to 4096k.

Should I be running the Small FFTS instead? But that only tests 8k strands and no ram though.

LOL you got me :confused: man a blend test is under the torture tests.

Oh haha never mind...I'm really tired, just got home from a terrible swim practice.

Anyway, I think as long as you're not getting any errors, you should be fine. You're probably killing the life of the chip though...

I was doing research on your E6600 and apparently, there are two different versions which I didn't know about. Here are the temp specs for both of them:

SL9S8:
Thermal specs at 60.1 degrees Celsius

SL9ZL:
Thermal specs at 60.1 degrees Celsius

Same temp threshold so no difference there. So it's ok for the CPU to run that hot, up to 60.1 degrees. Here's what it says about how the Thermal Specs are achieved:

"Thermal Specification: The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader. For processors without integrated heat spreaders such as mobile processors, the thermal specification is referred to as the junction temperature (Tj). The maximum junction temperature is defined by an activation of the processor Intel® Thermal Monitor. The Intel Thermal Monitor's automatic mode is used to indicate that the maximum TJ has been reached."

Wow what I really need is to buy a air conditioner. Now its the middle of the night and cooled off with these settings my cpu idols at 35C and won't go above 49C in prime. Today it was around 95F outside. Probally 85F in my room.

Thanks for that info ISO i'm guessing thats Intel playing it safe. Just like them downclocking processors to make a shipment.

Yeah, processors are meant to support a high temperature in case temps go up, etc. Just be careful, thats all.

Back
Top Bottom