core i5-WTF??! future of core i7 uncertain???

liquidmonkey

In Runtime
so here i am aboot to build a new core i7 920 system and i read an article on the new core i5 chip that apprently has a totally different socket!?!?!?! WTF???

does this mean that intel will NOT produce any more core i7 chips for the future?

as it stands now i'm getting the bottom of the line core i7 chip (the 920) and although its the most powerful / affordable chip on the market, it is still their bottom of the line core i7 chip meaning that i want to upgrade to a better one in 2 years or so. whewww, that was a long sentence :)

thoughts please ?????

ps: sorry, i can't find the original article anymore :(

The Core i5s are the mainstream Nehalems coming to the market. They will cost less and perform worse than the i7s.

I have to say that it's a PITA having two sockets, it makes upgrading to i7 harder and more expensive if you buy i5.

Yeah i don't think the I7 is in any type of trouble I think that they are just trying to get another lower option to better compete with the Phenom II's but man that is a horrible decision to use a different socket. Well I guess it means more money in their pockets cuz you have to redo the Mobo as well when you upgrade. Seems like a bad move on intels part tho.

Yeah,unlike AMD Which are doing a good job for us poor people! Most AM2+ Motherboards can use AM3 CPU's :D

What, seriously? I thought I would have to buy an AM3 mobo. Do you only have have flash the bios to a compatible version?

AM3 CPUs have both a DDR2 and a DDR3 memory controller and therefore can be used in AM2+ (DDR2) and AM3 (DDR3) motherboards.

AM2+ CPUs have only a DDR2 memory controller and can only be used in AM2+ DDR2 boards and not AM3 boards which use DDR3 and require a CPU with a DDR3 memory controller.

Back
Top Bottom