Core 2 Duo VS. AMD? Really?

amanat69

In Runtime
Everyone is saying INTEL ARE BACK. What's all the hype about it. Can someone explain? I thought INTEL were dead and buried and AMD was the new king for at least another decade. Explain please? :)

AMD 64s had a short pipeline, which meant that they were better for most things apart from video encoding.

Intel P4s had a long pipeline to allow them to run faster.

Intel Core Duos and Core 2 Duos have much shorter pipelines, and are very efficient, meaning they do a lot of work for their clock speed. Therefore, they trash everything else on the market.

But they dont even seem that expensive? Well for a mid ranged one at least. I'm so confused, I thought Intel were people who ripped you off. So if I was to buy a processor tomorrow, it wouldn't be AM2, it would be core 2 duo? Can that use DDR2 ram, is it 64 bit so ready for vista and all?

Yeah but that conroe is stupidly expensive
what about something like the E6400? Is that better than anything AMD?

intels new core is alot about power saving and keeping the heat down

the new core 2 duo's are rated at 65w while amd's are between 105-130w the extreme edition core2 duo is 75w. also the heat is much less. the core 2 duo, when running speedstep at idle will run as low as 77degrees! amd's lowest is usually about 88 i believe. The core 2 duo extreme runs at 1.280volts which is very low. Also the intel has 4MB of l2 cache (2mb for each core) it also takes 128bit exicutions instead of only 64. so that cuts time down dramatically because it doesn't have to split the 128bit instructions into 2 64 bits. there's more 2 it but i forgot what all, here's tom's hardware reviews and benchmarks:

http://www17.tomshardware.com/2006/07/14/core2_duo_knocks_out_athlon_64/

amanat69 said:
Yeah but that conroe is stupidly expensive
what about something like the E6400? Is that better than anything AMD?
conroe costs less that AMD's top cores.....

amanat69 said:
What about being able to use DDR2 ram, are they 64 bit as well?
intel was the ones to first use DDR2, amd's AM2 was the frist socket 2 really take advantage of DDR2 and yes all the conroes are 64-bit

So If I buy anything in the core 2 duo range, it'll be better than anything AMD for the same price?

amanat69 said:
So If I buy anything in the core 2 duo range, it'll be better than anything AMD for the same price?
depends, the extreme edition owns anything on the market for processors. peroid. the e6700 and e6600 will pretty much beat all the amd cores in almost all aspects, the althlon fx-62 will be able 2 beat those in a few things, but the still pretty much outdo amd's stuff.

Back
Top Bottom