Core 2 Duo Notebooks

Zaki

Daemon Poster
As far as I know the mobile versions of Core 2 Duo will be released on July 27. Could somebody confirm this?
Is there any point in buying a Core Duo notebook right now or should I just wait until the end of the month to get the Core 2 Duo?
What other technologies does the Core 2 Duo notebook cpu bring into the notebook world? Like a new chipset, memory, and so on.
Does anyone have any information on any manufacturer's plans for the Core 2 Duo?

Thanks.

I found this on notebookreview.com

Intel on Sunday announced that its new 64-bit dual core chips for laptop and desktop computers will both be called"Core 2 Duo", hoping to reignite interest in its products amid tough competition from rival Advanced Micro Devices (AMD).

The mobile processor microchip is known by codename "Merom" while the desktop processor is codenamed "Conroe". Intel will also introduce a premium processor to be dubbed "Core 2 Extreme". Conroe processors should begin shipping in July while the Merom notebook processors should become available in August.

The mobile processor series should have a T5000 line of processors that will have 2MB of L2 cache and a higher end line T7000 that will have 4MB of L2 cache. Clock speeds should match that of currently available Core Duo processors (about 1.66GHz - 2.13GHz). The big change between the currently available Core Duo processor and Core Duo 2 is that the Merom Core Duo 2 will support 64-bit instructions. Below is a list of 4 processors we believe will launch in August:

T5600: 1.83 GHz, FSB667, 2 MB L2 cache, $241 at launch
T7200: 2.00 GHz, FSB667, 4 MB L2 cache, $294 at launch
T7400: 2.16 GHz, FSB667, 4 MB L2 cache, $423 at launch
T7600: 2.33 GHz, FSB667, 4 MB L2 cache, $637 at launch
Although Intel is predicting August for a release of the Merom processor, it will not arrive in shipping notebooks in time for the back to school sale period which starts now and runs through until the beginning of August. The processor will probably provide about 10 - 20% performance boost over current Core Duo processors, but if you need a notebook now it's probably not worth waiting. Current Core Duo prices have dropped making notebooks with the current processor a very attractive buy.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=1371069
Lookie, I'm not plagarizing.

All Core 2 Duo desktop processors are to be released on July 27, 2006. Mobile are released in August. No offical date has been released.

The Merom core should be exciting. :D

Oh, and did you know that all the codenames of Intel mobile processors are actually places in Israel. Why? The Intel division in charge of mobile processors is based in Israel. So Banias, Dothan, Yonah, Merom are all places in Israel. Intresting, eh?

alvino said:
All Core 2 Duo desktop processors are to be released on July 27, 2006. Mobile are released in August. No offical date has been released.

The Merom core should be exciting. :D

Oh, and did you know that all the codenames of Intel mobile processors are actually places in Israel. Why? The Intel division in charge of mobile processors is based in Israel. So Banias, Dothan, Yonah, Merom are all places in Israel. Intresting, eh?

wait, i thought it was the other way round, weren't the mobile conroes getting released on the 27th? ....i may be goofing up

merom shall indeed be very exciting..

i knew there was something peculiarly jewish about these new intel cpus!

alvino said:
Nope, the Merom is slated for an August release.
Damnit! this sucks!!!! I was really looking forward to the merom in late july, is there any specific date in august for the merom release?

Conroe was supposed to have IMC, but nooooo, some Intel engineers messed it up and time was running out, so it got moved to another team to rework everything.

Zaki said:
Damnit! this sucks!!!! I was really looking forward to the merom in late july, is there any specific date in august for the merom release?

No official date has been released from Intel at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom