Copycat Innovation

jedidiahAJ

Solid State Member
Hey Guys,

Interesting article in the Washington Post about how innovation is being stalled because companies are too busy copying one another to come out with new products.
Here is a link if you're interested in the article:
Enough with these tired, copycat innovations - The Washington Post

I have been working in the Medical Devices SW industry for about 4 years now and realize how competitive the SW market is becoming all across the board, causing companies to try shortcuts in copying innovations. At my workplace in Philips Ultrasound, we emphasize heavily on "meaningful innovations" that are grown in house at our R&D facility. I am so glad to have started my career here in R&D and learn around so many principal scientists (with tons and tons of patents under their belts).

Have you guys seen or been affected by any of these "copycat innovations"? I would love to hear more?

the engineer side of me likes the idea of finding new stuff to build. the business side of me thinks that's just good business practice. They're reducing competitive advantage by copying another competitors product or service. They should still try to differentiate themselves. For instance, sometimes I feel like eating a mcds double cheeseburger and other times I feel like bks double cheeseburger. (is it lunchtime yet?)

We seen this a lot lately in the Samsung / Apple patent wars. see the link below.

verge samsung apple patent - Yahoo Search Results

I feel like every consumer has been affected by copycat innovation to some degree, but it seems natural for companies within the same industry to imitate before they innovate.

Back
Top Bottom