Cooling my PC?

I think they mean more exhausts, but it really depends on the case. Which case did you buy?

I bought this case:
Newegg.com - Xigmatek ASGARD II B/S CPC-T45UD-U01 Black / Silver 0.8 mm SECC / Aluminum and Aluminum Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

According to the comments/description, it comes with the one 120mm rear fan, you can fit a fan in the front and 3 along the side panel. I have a bunch of 80mm's laying around and I ordered another 120mm. The only thing I was wondering, if you can get a fan in the front like it says, I assume you'd want it sucking inwards? And if I did end up putting three 80mm's on the side, noise doesn't bother me, should they all be suckin in as well?

The only reason I'm assuming it's overheating is because my evga gt240 keeps crashing. I posted on the evga forums and they all said they thought it was the power supply because I was only running a 350w power supply previously. so I got the 550w which I assumed would be plenty enough to power what I have in my system. it still crashes. Drivers are up to date for the vid card for windows 7 home premium x64.

what will happen is as I'm playing a game, the screen+sound will just freeze and little colored lines/dots will appear all over the screen. It happens a lot if I have WoW open and alt+tab to watch a video on youtube, other times I'll just be sitting afk and it happens. sometimes it happens while playing l4d2. It doesn't always happen during high stress moments, sometimes it's just while sitting afk in an area where there's 'not much going on'.

Uh, yeah. 350 watts is NOT enough for a GT240, with everything else in your system.

It really is amazing what you can get away with these days. I build work PCs for our employees here at work, using 300 watt power supplies, but we use integrated or very low power low profile video cards, and the systems only have one very silent 80mm exhaust fan (other than the power supply fan). You are likely not encountering an overheating problem now that we know that your PSU was 350 watts. The 550 watt should be fine, but it depends on brand. If you bought some off brand for $20 that "says" it's 550watt, then you're probably not doing much better than the 350 you had before.

Your problems sound exactly like a video card deprived of power. I just hope you didn't try to use it so much that you caused permanent damage to the card (which yes, can happen with low power)

Uh, yeah. 350 watts is NOT enough for a GT240, with everything else in your system.

It really is amazing what you can get away with these days. I build work PCs for our employees here at work, using 300 watt power supplies, but we use integrated or very low power low profile video cards, and the systems only have one very silent 80mm exhaust fan (other than the power supply fan). You are likely not encountering an overheating problem now that we know that your PSU was 350 watts. The 550 watt should be fine, but it depends on brand. If you bought some off brand for $20 that "says" it's 550watt, then you're probably not doing much better than the 350 you had before.

Your problems sound exactly like a video card deprived of power. I just hope you didn't try to use it so much that you caused permanent damage to the card (which yes, can happen with low power)

Well, it's a Rosewill 550w, that was like 75$ that people on the newegg comments said was legit 550w.

And after doing some more searching, I found that there's probably 100-200 people who bought the GT240 around the same time period who have the same exact problem who are pretty sure it's a faulty batch.

So, after switching the cases and adding all the fans, everything runs a bit smoother, i'm idling at around 26C and on full load, running at 41-42C. So I'm much happier with that, the only thing that is annoying is, I have 2 fans on the side of the case, a 120mm as an exhaust for the video/sound card area, and a 80mm blowing in towards the CPU. The 80mm is quiet as anything, but the 120mm I'm guessing is running at high RPM's and is loud as hell, they're not connected by a 3pin connected to the motherboard. They're both connected by using one of the power supply connecters. Is there anything I can do about that?

Which is odd, usually the 80mm's are the loud ones and the 120mm's are quiet. At least most of the ones I own are. Might try buying a low speed, high CFM 120mm to replace and try out, just in case. :)

Back
Top Bottom