Cooling for a new custom PC...

Silt524

Beta member
Hey guys, Im new here. I found this place on google and it looked like a great place to ask my question.

Anyway, I am planning on building a custom pc in the next couple weeks (my first custom build). I think I will be able to do it pretty easily using a couple guides I found. However I still have a couple questions.

So here is what I am planning on getting:

AM2 Socket 4200-4400 X2 processor
2 gigs of RAM
eVGA Geforce 7900GT KO GFX Card
Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply
and this case which has a 120mm fan:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119094

So my question is what else do I need to keep all of this properly cooled? I cant spend more money on some elaborate water cooling system or expensive fans or anything like that as I am already way over my intended budget. Do you guys think adding 1 more fan, having one in the front and one in the back would be sufficient? I will be using the PC for alot of gaming so it is going to be pushed some. Along with the fan included with the case do you guys think something like this would be enough?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835129030

If not could you please suggest something else? Remember I am trying to keep the cost for this down as I am already a couple hundred dollars over my intended budget lol. Anyway I would really appreciate any advice you guys could give me.

Thanks for the help.

I think just as long as you get another 120mm fan for the back(im going by the pictures on newegg) it should be fine. That way you have a front intake fan and a rear fan pulling out hot air.

The Amish Kid said:
I think just as long as you get another 120mm fan for the back(im going by the pictures on newegg) it should be fine. That way you have a front intake fan and a rear fan pulling out hot air.

Should not the front air be pulling in hot air and the rear pushing out?

no, the front shouldnt be pulling in hot air because the air should be ambient temperature.

When I got my new case, the fans where set to a default position of pushing the air out. It came with 6 - 80mm fans.

I suppose that doesn't answer your question... :/

I bought two of these sucka's and they rock.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999344

I pulled off the speed control dial, and they auto-default to high speed. Who has room for them?! I didn't feel like moding my case for them either. I will probably be buying 3 or more for my water cooling kit. They PUSH some massive air. 110 CFM. I've looked for better, but for the price, I can't complain.

They do there job. My case has a reversed motherboard platter. So I have two of these fans pushing air right into my cpus. I've purchased 3 cases so far. And out of the 3, I purchased one with a reverse platter. So the motherboard sits on the opposite side. I like it a whole lot better, for CPU ventilation.

I would recommend a reverse MOBO platter. It's just a completely better concept.

Of course it's just my opinion.

Regards, Mark.

When I got my new case, the fans where set to a default position of pushing the air out. It came with 6 - 80mm fans.

I think I will get one of those Silverstone ones that Champ Mark suggested to go along with the one that comes with the case. If that is still not enough I will look into it some more.

Thanks again for the help guys :)

Back
Top Bottom