Cooling body after heart attack- fairly new treatment proven to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
I don't know if you guys remember me posting a thread about my grandpa having a heart attack, but there is now an article on the front page of a newspaper in Illinois with my grandpa on the front that talks about the treatment. They cool the body to 92F to stop brain damage, it is a fairly new process. I just thought I would share this with you guys, medical technology is so amazing. Lol my grandpa looks like a ****** in the picture they took. Here is a link to the article. Cold treatment saves retired cop's life :: The SouthtownStar :: News

That's a cool (pun intended) medical technique. Giving someone hyperthermia to save them from brain damage sounds a bit weird to my untrained ear but that's what professionals are for right? Now pass me those leeches...

Also the comment made by tgbluesky caught me just right.

Wow.. That's pretty amazing dude. Glad to see he's doing well and all. and he does look quite bad ***. he's like YO HEART ATTACK, ***** AINT GOT NOTHIN ON ME!

Knowing that chilling our body to prevent brain damage has been known for quite some time, and knowing to chill our body to help during heart attacks has been known for some time, but how to prevent frost bite and the such it quite hard to do.

yea, my mom said when they did it to him he was shaking like crazy from it. Its crazy what we are capable of. And LOL at peter's comment XD

Sounds like it would be more useful on a stroke victim, actually. The main danger in a heart attack is the damage to the heart muscle.

There was a guy up the road from me in St. Hellens who called the ambulance because he was having a heart attack 40 min later he was having keyhole surgury in Broadgreen hospital I thought that was prity impressive myself.

Braz Congrats about your gandfather pulling thrught my dad has had a quad bypass a few years ago after having a heart attack.

thanks saxon, I think he had a quad a while back too. It just weird that something like this wouldhappen because he has always eaten healthy and has worked out for over 30 years every single morning. Hmm and I agree Trotter, I bet it would work good to stop brain damage.

I know they give people who are in hypothermia ice treatment to raise the body temp slowly as the shock from becoming to warm to quickly can kill them.

Hypothermia victim you start with water which is cold to the touch then over the course of 2-3 hours slowly raise the temperature until its warm to the touch but not too warm around 30-35C is about right. Had to learn it for diving incase someone goes down in improper gear or situ happens whilst under which rapidly drops the body temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom