Converted from Vista to XP, now I can't get online?

Thanks Dragonslayer, but I think the problem here is that since my Vista machine was never meant to run XP, there isn't a driver that will work with it.

... Windows 7 had something called "XP Mode" which was just a gimmicky virtualized install of XP that comes with certain editions of Windows 7. You're not missing out on much, and to be honest, you'll get a far better experience by downloading VirtualBox and running Windows XP inside of a virtual machine that way.
The thing that sets XP Mode apart from VirtualBox, for me, is the fact that it includes a licensed copy of XP where with VirtualBox you need to supply your own copy of XP to install in the VM. I agree VirtualBox is a superior virtual environment but I think it's unfair to refer to XP Mode as "gimicky".

@Analog Dreams - XP Mode was predominately included in Win 7 to satisfy business users running business programs that don't work in Win 7. It's not really meant to support high end gaming so if you want to run games that only run with XP your better off with a dual-boot setup for that.

Thanks, strollin. I bought the Obuntu Linux on ebay for $5 (free shipping); I wanted the install cd since that computer won't connect to the internet. Truth be told, I'm pretty excited about it....I just hope I don't have to be any more tech-savvy than I would for a Windows install, because if so, I'm sunk already lol

The higher configuration may have hardware issue that is creating the problem..
You first reinstall XP and then its hardware drivers of Ethernet,LAN and if still not fixed then consult a hardware expert..

The thing that sets XP Mode apart from VirtualBox, for me, is the fact that it includes a licensed copy of XP where with VirtualBox you need to supply your own copy of XP to install in the VM. I agree VirtualBox is a superior virtual environment but I think it's unfair to refer to XP Mode as "gimicky".

I don't. I use enterprise level virtualization at work and at home, with lesser hypervisors and the included "XP Mode" leaves much to be desired. I'll give you the "free" license of XP, but performance is really bad, and you can't do some of the more advanced things. We're getting off topic here, but I did feel it was important to point out.

Back
Top Bottom