constant 40-50% cpu usage after format and reinstallation of windows 7

racingsnakes

Beta member
Hi all

New to the forums but am hoping I can get some help with this issue and make a few contributions too.

my problem is this: I have reinstalled windows, installed nothing except video card drivers, and my CPU usage is sitting at around 40-50%, flying up when asked to perform the simplest of tasks. Im thinking maybe its missing one or more drivers but I have no idea how to find out which if any.

Im running win7 HP 32bit on a 2.2ghz dual core, 2gb of ram combined with a geforce gt650 video card.

I tried another format and reinstallation of windows to no avail. Any advice/guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

My comp spec is

Well since it's a new install its probably doing a lot of things in the background. Have you tried looking what processes/tasks are running the high usage?

As for checking what drivers are missing, open Device Manager and see if anything has a yellow exclamation mark next to it. If it does, then it's a missing driver.

Things you'll want the newest drivers for either way: chipset, network (ethernet / wireless), GPU, and sound. As well as any peripherals that require special drivers. I would get them from the component manufacturers' websites, rather than HP if you can.

When im home ill post a screen of my full spec. dont think its update as it was like this for a week or so before I re-formatted.

And the processes screen, Nothing stands out as unusual. Chipset drivers sounds promising but I'm not sure how to identify brand/model to download them.

Last edited by a moderator:
When im home ill post a screen of my full spec. dont think its update as it was like this for a week or so before I re-formatted.

And the processes screen, Nothing stands out as unusual. Chipset drivers sounds promising but I'm not sure how to identify brand/model to download them.
If you've got a constant 40-50% usage then a process will be showing it in task manager. Is there constant HDD activity as well?

Hi all

Im running win7 HP 32bit on a 2.2ghz dual core, 2gb of ram combined with a geforce gt650 video card.

My comp spec is

Is your installation disk a HP reinstall disk or official micorosoft oem disk ?
Also you said you updated the drivers right ?
Did windows update download generic driver for you and install it automatically ?
Did you download nvidia's official driver yourself ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom