Connection problems.

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I am having problems with my Dell Inspiron 1501's internet connection. Internet explorer suddenly decided to stop connecting over wireless even though everything else still works...limewire, utorrent, etc work fine...IE acts like the computer isn't connected to the web. It works if you plug it into a lan cable, but the wireless acts like there is no connection even though there is. I checked a bunch of settings with the firewall and stuff and it didn't help. Anyone have any advice? I'm lost...I don't understand how everything can work fine except ONLY IE over wireless.

Any help appreciated!!!

I went through all of IE's settings and nothing looked out of place. I'm still lost.

It sounds like the router is failing to give a dns ip address for the wireless connection... I would check and make sure that on your connection you are getting a valid ip address for you DNS... Sometimes it can be best to set the router as the dns...

David - I would like to ask why you think it would be the ISP's DNS server? If he can view the web with wired connection, but not with wireless?

It sounds like the router is failing to give a dns ip address for the wireless connection... I would check and make sure that on your connection you are getting a valid ip address for you DNS... Sometimes it can be best to set the router as the dns...

David - I would like to ask why you think it would be the ISP's DNS server? If he can view the web with wired connection, but not with wireless?

oops. my mistake

I did try firefox to no avail.

How can I check the dns settings?

Also, my other computer and Android G1 both connect just fine. The G1, the HP Mini (COOLEST COMPUTER EVER!!) and the Dell (when plugged in) all connect just fine...only the wireless on only the Dell doesn't work.

Any thoughts? I'm lost...lol

Thanks!!

david - no worries, we all make em lol..

Rmp5s - You haven't mentioned what operating system you have so... If you have Vista; open Network and Sharing Center->click View Status->click Details->on the section that says IPV4 DNS is where the Ip will be... On Xp; open Network Connections-> right click on the wireless connection choose properties-> click on Details-> it too should say IPV4 DNS...

When you find your DNS, if it is not your router's ip address, you can easily find out if the ip is a DNS ip... Just look it up on google with one of your other computers.....

If that still doesn't work, you may have to check your services, and or, your NIC's settings and make sure everything is correct...

Alright...the IPv4 DNS servers do not match the router's IP. The IPv4 default gateway does match though if that matters.

I dont really understand what all this means though...or what to do with all this info...

What are the numbers supposed to be? how do I change them if they're wrong?

Oh...and the Dell is running Vista.

Back
Top Bottom