Connection help with network hardware.

studioki

Beta member
Lets see if any of you brilliant people can help me earn points with my girlfriend. I am trying to set up our internet connection with a router. My wonderful desktop is working just fine. Her stupid lap top however keeps on getting a message that says limited or no connectivity. I have been randomly disabiling things, firewalls etc, but nothing seems to work. After looking through the norton log i found this error every time I plugged in the ethernet cord. "Protecting your connection to a newly detected network on adapter" It then lists her network card "Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller - packet scheduler miniport" and then an IP adress in parenthesis. If anyone could help me get her connected to the internet it would be much appreciated.

Switch everything off. Your pc, modem, router, her lappy. First try this, plus in modem, wait ten mins, then plug in router, wait ten mins, then power up desktop and lappy, see what happens then.

If that does not work, go into the router settings and check NAT is enabled, look through all the tiny little settings. Do that then do the first thing I told you do to, resetting everything,

Thanks for the suggestios but I already tried that. I dont have any software for this router so there is no settings to change. Again it works fine on my computer just not hers.

there has to be settings for it. normaly its an ip address you open in a browser, and the computer and router communicate via ethernet. look on the box or instructions for an ip or something like that.

Doesnt say anything on the device about an IP Adress. I got the router from a friend so I dont have a box. I checked the net gear website and it says that you should just be able to plug it in and it will connect automaticaly, no additional software necesary. I really feel it has something to do with norton, but even when I disable everything it doesnt work. Again, I apreciate the sugestions.

okay so here is the kicker. I did what you suggested in the beginning again. This time however I unplugged the cord to my desktop. When everything restarted her computer was working just fine and connected to the internet. Thinking I had solved it I plugged in my desktop and of course, my desktop computer now says limited or no connectivity. This is making me very unhappy.

hmmm...well, on my router the default gateway is what I have to type in my browser to access all the settings.

To find out go into command prompt and type 'ipconfig'.

It should tell you the gateway. Open your browser and type 'http://' then the gateway.

It should open up your router settings for you to fiddle about with.

Back
Top Bottom