Connection Between Xp Home, Xp Pro, Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazed_climber

Baseband Member
I have 3 computers.

The first one is one my parents use for emailing and the internet. I we have windows 2000 on this computer because I thought Xp would use too much resources and I donÂ’t have a legal copy.

My second computer is my laptop and it uses Xp home because thatÂ’s what dell (I know I donÂ’t like them either) loaded on it.

My last computer is my computer which is my gaming rig. This one has Xp pro.

I know this set up isn't ideal but its what I got. So here the down low on the problems. Firstly the wired internet works fine. Secondly file sharing doesn't work except between my computer and my parents (the slow one). I think this is because they are on different workgroups. How do I change this? Thirdly the wireless internet doesn't work on my laptop. It says it doesn't detect any wireless signals even when its right beside router. Thirdly when I type 192.168.1.1 it doesn't bring up the ip configurations anymore. Any ideas one what I should check?

I am sorry this is such a long and drawn out post but its as simple as I could put it.

Thanks goes out to anyone that can help me out.
Scotty

filesharing: on the two xp boxes, disable simple file sharing (should be in folder options) and turn off xp firewalls.

wireless: check the adapter's device settings and make sure your on the same channel and it is set it to use a infrastructure network. You should see a connection with a red x in your system tray. Right click this icon and click view available wireless networks. select one from the list and click connect. If it doesn't appear, it could be because the router is not set to broadcast the ssid.

Ill try that stuff about filesharing. I dont have the xp firewall on any of my computer. I use norton security would that interfer? Ill also checkout simple sharing.

I already checked the list of avalible connections and it found nothing. Ill look up what ssid is.

Thanks for your quite reply.

Update:
I just looked in ipconfig and it showed my external ip on all the ips not the internal. Any idea whats happening? It seems like none of the routes functions are working besides sending internet to all the computers. when I type in 192.168.1.1 nothing happens. Restarting to router to its default doesn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom