Connecting My Printer

Sylent

Beta member
I bought a Laptop with Xp Home on it and i want to connect my laptop to the printer connected to our other computer. The other computer is a hp pavilion with 2000 pro on it and its connected to a Lexmark z11 color jet printer. I made the printer on the pavilion a shared printer but when i browse for the printer on my laptop it dosnt show up in the list. Can anyone run by me all the steps i need to take to make my printer a network printer and how to print from my laptop on it. thanks

are your laptop and pc in the same workgroup? ... are you using a router? can you see the pc in your laptop's My Network Places>>Entire Network>>Microsoft Windows Network? can you ping your pc from your laptop? and vice versa? This needs to be established in order to go forward with anymore troubleshooting. If you say the printer is shared, but unable to be seen in your laptop's add a printer wizard, we got to confirm connectivity to each other.

Yes im using a router so that i can access the internet wirelessly. I tried to connect both computers to the same workgroup but the pavilion attached to the printer is running 2000 pro and i don't know how to get to the Network Wizard on 2000. When i got into My network places on the desktop for the pavilion i search for my laptop and it can't find it. Im guessing because im using the router?

Make sure both the 'Server' and 'Workstation' services are enabled on either computer. You can doing this by going to Run and typing 'services.msc'.

To change the Workgroup and Computer name in Windows 2000, simply right click My Computer and hit properties, then the Computer Name tab.

I made sure that both server and workstation are enabled on both computers. Both are in the workgroup titled "WORKGROUP". But they still can't see each other. I tried pinging both computers using command prompt but no use. Is it because my laptop is on a wireless connection using a router?

I tried pinging both my computers by their name but it says it cant be found. Do you know if its because of my router?

Back
Top Bottom