Connecting a 400Gb IDE hard drive to a Pentium 4

Wartung

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

So, I've got this old tower that I built for fun and for practice, but also to serve as a music library to be configured with my sound system.

This is what I've done:

Got an old P4 with 2Gbs of RAM, I believe, bought off some guy in town and a 40Gb hard drive. I've got XP installed on the hard drive, everything works fine.

Now, my problem, I've recently bought a 400Gb hard drive to put in it, this will be the start of the music library, but I can't seem to get it to work.

I realize this could be any number of things but I've got a decent knowledge of IT so I'll tell you what I know.

The 400Gb is wired with the same bus as the 40Gb (the latter works fine) but I can't see it anywhere. In the BIOS, I've got all these master / slave configurations that say they are supposed to auto-detect things, and they see nothing.

At work, I hooked the hard drive itself, into a USB-IDE/SATA adapter and while the computer makes a sound and acknowledges something has been connected, nothing shows ever. Seems like I bought a faulty hard drive? If it was the wires in my tower, then the adapter would have worked, no?

Listen, I'm going to keep trying to figure this out, I'll keep you guys posted but if anyone can give me a pointer or two, that would be great.

Thanks

Well, it's looking like this could possibly be something to do with the jumper block.

The problem is, the diagram on my hard drive usually has two of the things yet on the actual hard drive I only have one. Am I supposed to have another one or is there some way I can configure it with just the one?

Are you using the 80 wire cable? That might be it.

On some drives when used by itself, you don't need to jumper it.

Can you take a picture of back of the HDD?

If you're using just the one HDD, just set the jumper to "master" on the HDD, and it won't matter which bit of the cable you use.

Give us the make and model of both drives. Are you connecting both to the same cable (using 1 IDE channel) or are you using 2 different cables (2 IDE channels)?

Typically, when connecting both to the same channel, one drive gets jumpered as Master with Slave while the other gets jumpered as Slave. If 2 channels, each drive gets jumpered as Master (no Slave).

Another method is to jumper the drives as CS (Cable Select). Some older drives may not support CS but, if supported, it means you use a special cable that determines Master/Slave depending on which connector on the cable the drive is attached to. The drive connected to the connector in the middle is the Slave while the one on the end is Master. Typically, the 80 wire cables support CS.

Last edited:
fe4HSSj.png

Can you guys see that alright?

In the pictures, it looks like there are two jumpers. I only have one, am I missing one?

The brand is Hitachi. Model says HDS724040KLAT80

E8L28Mo.jpg

It's an 80 wire cable for sure, I've got a 40 as well for the optical drive that I can't get to work either. Maybe the cables are broken.

I don't know guys, the wires are hooked up properly it's pretty straight forward.

I have two (2) drives, one is a 40Gb with Windows, set up as master. Now, I'm trying to use this 400Gb as the slave (data).

Here is a picture of the master

ZUa5Xks.jpg

Thanks a lot for the response guys. I'm not sure what to do, I might have to try to seek out somenoe to get help if I can't get this figured out.

Jeez, I don't know what to do. Looks like I won't be able to do this without any real help.

Does nobody know about the jumper diagram, there are two jumpers in all of them, why do I only have one?

Back
Top Bottom