connected house?

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
ive been doing a little bit of reseach on this how to integrate everything around the house.

entertainment system with a central alien brain mhahaha
tron legacy and tron 2.0 is my favorite movie and the game...
icon092-tron-main.jpg

anyway. moving on now.

in a perfect world heres what I would want:

1)a dual monitor desktop/media server/security recorder as well( which is pretty much what I have now just not connected to anything else in the house and only 22/19 inch monitors.

2)a miniature BUT good quality(not a boombox quality sound) 2 channel amp that has a wifi and a wired connection for media
( I'm wondering if there are any android based boxes that have a built in amp to stream Pandora)

3) living room TV connected to the desktop so I can use the screen as a PC monitor when I'm in a living room.(kinda like HTPC but in separate rooms).

4) a car computer system with a small hidden security camera that is powered up by backup battery and stays connected to a wifi router in the house when parked overnight.(to record the face of the driver if car is stolen which happens a lot here with imports).

5) having laptops and cellphones connect to wifi for sharing as soon as I'm in range of the router at home. so i don't have to transfer photos to photobucket and then to PC or having to plug in the usb cable every time
i have ready share on my router but it seems like a major headache to set it up and it has a limited functionality. it seemed like a great idea but i try to set it up and failed...

I think that's about it.

reality I'm assuming is:

a lot of wires back and forth

and mostly wifi connectivity

and having to deal with different formats and standards

I would like to stay wired as much as possible to avoid too much wireless radiation.
yea you can joke about it but I personally belive that to be true. I never belived people saying that we don't get affected by wireless of any kind... seems like they are starting to prove it now.

this is more of a log. but youre welcome to throw in suggestions

my goal is like always to make it simple where anyone with basic skills can pull this off
to find everything that works togetherwith simple setup without having to configure IP address and register on a network or sacrifice a small chicken in order for it to connect

the availability of flat sticky back wires is making this job much easier since i can route them behind and under.
butis it possible to convert a network cable to flat ribbon cable so i can just run the network cables to every piece of network hardware without affecting the signal?

i know theres "flat" or slim network cables but what i mean is actual ribbon cable with sticky back to tape on the wall behind the moldings or under the carpet.

The explanation is flat ribbon cable run over considerable distances acts like an antenna. It is easy to induct ac hum and EMI/RFI in to the cable. Digital and analog equipment won't understand the interference. Mission critical data will be corrupted.
The twists in a network cable are to help prevent this sort of interference. 300 feet is the max you can run under the cables specs. I would be dead set against using anything that is not twisted or shielded.

so even this is not good?
41CuMSAOYFL._SY300_.jpg

what about usb? can those cables be flat?
say i want to make a usb wall outlet next to the couch so i can plug in thumb drive or something

Not really for what you have in mind. That's phone wire on steroids.
As for USB, flat cable is flat cable

Use twisted or shielded cable.

I used to install security systems. In some homes they have a slab floor. Which means you have to get creative running wires. That gap in the baseboard where the carpet gets bumped in, is great for hiding cables. Just push the cable in with a flat screw driver. Where you want to break out just use a base board jack. As for the USB jack I have yet to see a USB break out jack. You could just come out of the base board gap and sleeve the wire to give it a finished appearance. Set it on the end table.

Last edited:
hardwood floors make it a bit harder

how would you organize all this?

do I run a network cable to the modem/router from server and then to all accessories in other rooms?(tv and network players) and security camera also has a network cable plug

Back
Top Bottom