confused (damb pc's!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

notamondayfan

Baseband Member
hey all, jus joined, hope all is well.

anyway, i have a lil prob, im tryin 2 network 2 pc's, but failing so far.

both pc's are connected via ethernet cables to a hub (which supplies both pc's with broadband). i havent had any problems with the broadband part.

i want to be able to access shared files and printers on either pc. i have been thro the microsoft network wizzard but neither pc can see each other.

last night i needed to transfer some files, so i was messing around and decided to give netmeeting a bash. i dialed the ip address of 1 of the pc in, and guess what, it connected. this proves theres nothing physically wrong. ive been thro all the help guilds, and still nothing.

oh btw both pcs are xp sp2.

thanks 4 ur time, deano!

In order to share and transfer files without a server setup for HUB DCC+ you should get a router. A router will be your salvation.

Are both machines XP pro?
You need to make sure both machines are in the same WORKGROUP
After that, you should check your Network Places for the other machine.

List Specs Below:

both xp home.

my pc amd 64, x800 pro, 1gb ram. 80 gig hd

other pc, some intel shite, 256mb ram, onboard gfx, 20 gig hd.

i have made sure they are the same work group, (mshome is default so i left it like that).

really annoyin me!!

i dont see any shared folders any where.

just a thought, do firewalls cause problems? they are both using norton anti virus.

is there a way to make the fire wall allow jus certain things? i dont like turning off a fire wall unless i really have 2.

I completely understand the concern. In past experiences, after connecting for the first time, you are able to turn the firewall back on.
However sometimes that is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom