Conflicting Responses for LAPTOP RAM

kyleman999

Daemon Poster
im doing this to death because, whenever i go to my local store ( microbytes ) one of the salemen always tell me something different. For instance i went there today to buy some ram and they said that it had a 50/50 chance of working in my comp. He said it would be better to get mac recomended ram to make sure it work work. and this special mac ram for 512mb is ( 175 ) and thats the best price id find because they're making almost no profit on it. and then for a regular SO-DIM PC-133 256 mb it wouldbe 56$ ... i was going to buy it untill he told me the fact that he didnt think it was going to work.... so here i am at work..... I NEED A SOLID ANSWER of waht exactly i need in my computer. Everybody by now knows me because ive been posting threads on threads about this. so here it goes one last time.....

Would
Kingston SO-DIM PC-133 work in my ibook G3 (dual usb) 500mhz
or
do i have to buy speacilized ram for it.
i really need to know lol i need more than 128mg of ram grrr!!!!!

REP TO anyone who gives me a QUALITY answer
and to all the loyal CF members who have helped me out so far lol

THANKS

no you do not have to get specialized ram as it is all the same technology. it just has to be pc100/133 laptop ram. I put like 7 diffrent kinds of ram in my powermac g3 and it all worked.

and cant u just return it if it doesnt work?

borat_sagdiyev said:
no you do not have to get specialized ram as it is all the same technology. it just has to be pc100/133 laptop ram. I put like 7 diffrent kinds of ram in my powermac g3 and it all worked.

and cant u just return it if it doesnt work?
Yeah just standard ram would work ,when i went to the local pc store over here for notebook ram for my compaq a salesman told me i would need to contact compaq and get the memory from them but when i went in the next day another salesman told me that any notebook ram would work and if it didnt i could bring it back so i would ignore what the salesman told you

Just a thought, can you not use crucials website and find out? Sorry i cant be any more help, i know nowt about MAC's

kyleman999 said:
okay because if i bring it back i would only be allowed to get store credit.
um what are the exact specs of that laptop? like the cpu speed and stuff?

ooh and g3 ibooks only have 1 ram slot i believe.

500mhz g3
66mhz fsb
uhhhh right now it has pc-100 stick of ram in it.....
12 inch ibook (dual usb)....

i might call and go pick up some ram right now ... if my boss will let me heheeh

Yes i know they only have one slot, my ram right now has 1 stick of 64mb intergrated and 64mb externaly put in though the slot so i was thinkign about puttin 256 or 512mb + the 64 intergrated.

yes i realise that i just want to be sure that this ram will work or else ièll be stuck with store credit ....

Back
Top Bottom