Configuring a VLAN to use a different IP Scope from a firewall

KSU_Guy

Beta member
Hello,

I am in the process of swapping out new switches at our location and setting up two VLANs. I work in a public library setting and I want our staff computers to use our DHCP server that we have setup on Windows Server 2008. I also have a firewall that has it's own DHCP server set up with it's own IP address scope. To make things a little more clearer, our windows server DHCP is in the range of 192.168.5.20 - 192.168.5.150 (Staff); our DHCP scope on the firewall is in the range 192.168.10.20 - 192.168.10.100(Public), I know how to setup the VLANs on the switch and I know which ports will go to each VLAN. The question I have is how do I make the VLAN hand out the public IP address range to specific computers? How do I make sure that the specific ports pick up an IP address from that range only? I apologize if this is a lot of information, I can send more if items are still unclear. I appreciate all the help and support.

Put one DHCP server on each vlan.. then each DHCP server will only issue leases to devices on that vlan.. Additionally its a smaller network so I would put both scopes on the same subnet unless you're certain you'll have more than 250 devices at once

Back
Top Bottom