Computer wont start

I would:

1. Unplug all other parts of the PC, ie HD, CD etc and only connect the new Motherboard to the new PSU using the 20/24 pin conn and the 4 pin 12V conn.

2. Fit the CPU and RAM to the new motherboard.

3. Connect the Case Power switch to the new motherboard

4. Connect a case fan to the PSU. This will immediately tell you the PSU is working. Well the 12V anyway.

5. Apply mains to the PSU. Is the LED on the mothermoard lit. If yes the PSU is providing 5V standby to the motherboard. If not lit, it is not and the PSU is probably no good. Try both power supplies if you want.

6. If the LED is lit and you press the Case Power switch this should enable the rest of the power supply and the fan should spin. If it does not spin the motherboard is not enabling the rest of the power supply. Again try both power supplies.

7. I would guess it is the motherboard. Good Luck and let us know the results

First off I wouldn't have bought a motherboard nor a PSU quite yet. Have you tried re-setting the BIOS on the old motherboard? When you boot up does the computer POST? If not, then I'd say you might have broken your BIOS. Are there any beeps during boot? If so, I'd get out the old motherboard's manual and have a look for beep codes. It could be your RAM. We know so far that it is not the PSU because the fans power up. I also know it's not the HDD because regardless of whether it's broken or not, you still be getting to at least the BIOS. It could be the motherboard. It could also be the new motherboard. Since you've already bought it, I'd return the new motherboard for another one and try the newer one. If it doesn't work we can pretty much rule out the motherboard. It could possibly be the processor. It's rare for one to fry if you haven't OC'ed but it does happen. One way to check for external damage on the processor is to remove it from the motherboard board and inspect the pins or just the bottom for any blackened areas. One blackened area can tell us that it's fried. Let's hope that's not the case. If you have another computer I'd use that to test the RAM.

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I'll get to it in the next day or so. The only reasons that I bought a new mobo and psu at this point is to try and determine what the problem is. The psu I have already taken back. I am sending out the mobo tomorrow and will hopefully receive a replacement by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted and will let you guys know if I have any more questions.

i think it might be you're HDD put everything back together and go into bios to see if it stills recognize the HDD if it does try installing windows if it wont install then its the HDD that is broke.

Back
Top Bottom