Computer won't power on... Please, please help.

ctycarlos

Solid State Member
Good afternoon.

I have an old computer (P3 933 MHz) that my 3-year old uses. My computer recently died as a result of the power supply frying the mobo, so I purchased a new desktop. I wanted to have access to some of the files on the hard drive from my old desktop, so I installed it as a slave in my son's computer.

I installed it, booted it up... no problems.

The cover was still off of my son's computer and I decided to take a look to see if the memory from my old computer was compatible. Bad decision... His computer has 256MB RAM with an open second slot. I pulled out his memory to look at the slot and saw that the memory from my computer wouldn't fit. So I put the memory back in his computer and then powered it on and the fans spun, but the power led didn't illuminate and the hard drive wasn't spinning, though the hard drive led briefly flashed as did the CD-Rom led. The monitor displayed a blank screen. Generally when I boot his computer, the Dell logo appears right away and then Windows 2000 boots up. The Dell logo did not appear.

I have reset the memory three or four times, so I know it is sitting correctly. I have disconnected and re-connected the hard drive in the original configuration. I took out the CMOS battery and reset it. I don't know what to do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I bought the computer for $120, so I don't want to put any significant money into it. I will just go onto Craigslist if I have to and get a comparable machine for $100 or so.

Many thanks in advance,

Carlos

Have you tried it in both memory slots? And its definately seated properly? Check all the other connections in the computer, incase ya have knocked something loose while removing the RAM. Its also possible that ya have damaged it from ESD, did you ground yourself, before working on the pc?

Many thanks for your reply. The memory is definitely seated properly now, though it may not have been when I first tried to reinstall it. It has the clips that automatically come down when you push the RAM into place, so I had to shove pretty firmly.

Is it possible that I damaged the RAM? I have looked closely at it and I can't see anything wrong.

As for the ESD, I can't promise that I was thinking about it at the time, though I don't remember any discharge. What would that have damaged... mobo, RAM?

If ESD is the problem it could have damaged anything, have ya checked all the connectors to make sure everything is seated properly. Try resetting the CMOS aswell. There will be a jumper on ya mobo near the battery somewhere for this

I will reconnect everything and try again when I get home.

If it was ESD, would I have felt the static shock or maybe not?

No mate ya wouldnt have felt anything, it always pays to ground yourself. And the straps are cheap enough to do this.

Back
Top Bottom