Computer wont let me activate windows XP!

setishock said:
You're limited to 6 reinstalls. That includes the moving of the os to another machine. Point is if you make a habit out of it and M$ sees the hash numbers with the key code coming in too close together they lock you out. You wind up having to call a tech. Be honest about what you did dishdog. I moved one of my xp home os's from my retired p3 to my toy p2 and it called in no problem. But the p3 had been sitting in the cupboard for 90 days. Point is be honest with them. You'll get a lot farther if you do.

they should give you some warning on how many times you have left after each boot. i have bin meaning to phone M$ but i havn't got around to it. i'm just going to still try linux then if i don't like it i will get my XP back.

x0r515t, 2GB of ram is desired but not required, and thats for running the 64bit version, you would be able to run the 64bit version of 1GB ram, which i think most people are getting now! the 32-bit version runs with anything from 512mb upwards.

regards
Matt

not really, but starting with xp, and all that activation crap, your serial will only work once, to after you do a reinstall, you have to call microsoft tech support to activate or it will stop working

^^ know i did a reinstall more then once and it didn't stop me. i think it's 6 like seti said

I finally phoned into microsoft. if you just do it over the phone you can do it as many times as you want. so for now on i have to phone in to activate windows.

Back
Top Bottom