Computer woes

desdichato

Baseband Member
Good Morning,

A couple of annoyances that I hope someone will be able to help me with.

I have just updated a computer with 3 small SSD's and an additional normal HDD (Totalling 3 HDD & 3 SSD's)and am really frustrated because the SSD's are not showing up on the computer. I am running a Gigabyte GA EX58 UD4P with an I7 processor & 6Gb of ram with Windows 7 (32 bit).

I am guessing that I would need drivers for the SSD's and would like to install a new version of 7 (64bit) on one of the SSD's.....any tips/tricks????

Also annoying me at the moment is that for some reason the computer is very unstable and powers off usually after only a couple of minutes...can anyone suggest anything I can try to stabilize it????

Can anyone suggest a way to format an OEM partition on a HDD????

Thank You

P.

BTW Thank you to all those who have helped in the past....Great work.

Unplug everything except the SSD you want to install Windows on
Put the windows CD in the computer and boot from it.
When you come to the screen showing your drives you may need partition them. Which is why they are not being recognized by your computer.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks Kgury,

That's what I ended up doing but now I am having hassles with it powering off after a few minutes of being used....not even getting into windows.

desdichato, why are you running a 32 bit OS with 6GB of RAM?

Also, be sure that your motherboard is fully compatible with the 32 bit version of Windows. I've seen some of the new motherboard spit binary when they have to deal with 32 bit windows instead of 64 bit.

SSD's don't need drivers. They're hard drives according to your motherboard and the OS, I have yet to see an SSD need a driver.

What kind of power supply is in the system? Is this an OEM system like HP or Dell?

To format an OS partition, you need to either delete the partition from computer management (Start > Right click "Computer" and choose "manage", then on the left go to "Disk Management" , right click the recovery partition and choose "delete volume")

Alternatively, during Windows setup, you can remove the OS partition by removing it (delete) during the setup.

The same method used to delete the partitions / volumes can also be used to see if the drives are showing up in Disk Management. Chances are if you don't see them under "Computer", that they're going to be present in disk management instead.

Make a gparted thumb drive:

1. Find old thumb drive (as small as 128mb)
2. Download Gparted (Thank you for downloading GParted LiveCD from CNET Download.com)
3. Burn it to optical media (Thumb drive unnecessary if you use this method) or…
4. Download UnetBootin (Download UNetbootin, Universal Netboot Installer from SourceForge.net)
a. UnetBootin is quite a simple tool. Start UnetBootin  select the “Diskimage” radio button  make sure ISO is selected  browse to the download destination of gparted-live-0.9.x-x.iso and select it  make sure usb drive is selected/inserted  make sure your old thumb drive is selected  hit okay and next a few times.
b. Allow this process to run…can take a while some times.
c. When it is completed you will have a bootable gparted thumb drive.
5. When this is finished you can reboot and in your bios boot priority move your gparted drive to first priority. This will boot the utility when you reboot your rig. When it loads it'll look like a type of linux gui.
6. Double click the partition editor(could be called something else but you'll know)
7. On the device dropdown find the drive you want formatted (your 500gb drive) and find the device tag. It'll most likely be named sda, sdb, sdc…sdx. You will use this in your terminal window.
8. (This is the drive destroyer step – it will wipe the drive totally to zeros including wiping the partition table/mbr. If this step is not allowed to finish you may not like what you're left with) Switch over to terminal. Type dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=1M. (where sdx is the tag you've retrieved from the partition editor) Bye Bye data.
9. Go back to the partition editor. Refresh devices. You'll notice the device you are looking to format will be accompanied by a grey box (where accompanied by a box of some other color before) and a triangular exclamation sign. This drive needs a new partition table written to it before we can format it.
10. Go to the menu bar and select Device  Create partition table. Default settings will be fine (msdos table type). Click apply. (exclamation sign is gone now) Now you're ready to partition.
11. In partition editor click the drive you'd like to format and click new.
12. Fill in your desired label in the label box.
13. Select FAT32 filesystem.
14. Click okay and then click apply at the top.
I really enjoy fixes that grant me a new tool to use in the future. This should accomplish that. Gparted is a great utility so I hope if you decide to go this complex route you find it as useful as I do.
Be very careful you don't mistype ANYTHING while in the terminal. You don't want to delete anything that you don't want to delete…am I right? If you feel uncomfortable bone up on this process by searching for videos, there are plenty.

That's what I ended up doing but now I am having hassles with it powering off after a few minutes of being used....not even getting into windows.

Check the PSU if that working healthily.
Also check the system for overheated components.

Visit the Gigabyte web site and see if any latest update(including the Bios) is need to have the mobo run steadily.

Hope this helps!
Bill

Thanks for your input Guys, it's given me plenty to go on when I rebuild over the weekend

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom