Computer will not boot

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
Well, not entirely. When I turn on my computer, and Windows XP loads up or whatever, then it just sits there, showing my desktop background image but nothing else (no icons, taskbar, anything). So I just hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to look at the task manager. I see only system things, and AVG AntiVirus and stuff. Nothing that loads up at startup like MSN Messenger or AIM. I click on File and Run (or something like that) and randomly type in "desktop". [I was bored, and could try anything]. Strangely enough, after typing half of it in, yes half, and not even pressing enter the computer started to boot up. The task manager was still open, and I could see the processes popping up rapidly. Now it's fine.

I tried it again, and left it there for about 20 minutes with the task manager open (without doing the run > desktop thing) and nothing happened. Then I clicked Run and typed some random thing and when I was typing it, the computer started to boot up.

Creepy. Ideas? I was going to reformat, since my Windows is 100% screwed up in the first place, but I can't find my XP CD either.

ahh try this, Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and it should bring up your task manager..again. Well, go to NEW TASK on the main tab, and type in the box that pops up "Explorer.exe" and that should bring your desktop up. To make sure that doesnst happen again, go to run<msconfig and on the main tab make sure "selective startup" has a green check in the box and everything below it also has a check in it. Hope this helps

Spec

there's probably a startup process holding it up. Safe mode would be your best bet to try right now to see if it makes a difference.

Spec said:
ahh try this, Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and it should bring up your task manager..again. Well, go to NEW TASK on the main tab, and type in the box that pops up "Explorer.exe" and that should bring your desktop up. To make sure that doesnst happen again, go to run<msconfig and on the main tab make sure "selective startup" has a green check in the box and everything below it also has a check in it. Hope this helps

Spec

exactly... just run explorer.exe and then run "msconfig" and make sure that explorer is checked for boot up

Back
Top Bottom