Computer will not boot

Nimandir

Baseband Member
Okay, I'm having problems fixing a computer running Windows XP. It's a Compaq that has the Windows XP CD stored on a second hard drive (which I don't like). My Dad came up and accused me of getting a virus on his computer (The same thing he does every time his computer screws up). I tried to start normally and in safe mode and it would stop at the Windows Splash Screen. If I tried running System Recovery, I'd get this message on at the top left of a blue screen:

STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The Registry Cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\system32\Config\SECURITY
or its log or alternative
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable

Late last night, I went into the livingroom and noticed the computer was still on. I tried clicking on Internet Explorer and all icons on the desktop would flicker 2 times and IE would not load. Not thinking much of it, I decided to go ahead and shut the computer down for the night. Now, it will not load at all. Any ideas on a course of action?

Also, the Computer doesn't have a Floppy Drive (Which I hate the most :mad: )

Looks like a registry error to me, you might have to reinstall windows. Someone must have been messing around with the registry which is a big no-no.

yes sounds like you'll have to either try to repair the damaged registry with an XP disc or do a fresh re-install.

Back
Top Bottom