Computer Upgrade

btd450

Solid State Member
I currently have a pretty crappy computer, and just want to upgrade it enough to be able to play some of the current graphically enhanced games. I am kind of held back because of a $500 max spending limit.d

My current specs:

Intel P4 2Ghz
512MB RAM
Intel Integrated graphics
Windows XP Home SP2

I know that I want a Radeon X700 Pro, which means that I will have to upgrade my motherboard, and possibly my processor and RAM.....That is what I am wondering about. The Processor and RAM are what I am concerned about. I am thinking that they might be too out dated, and I may not be able to upgrade for only $500.

I was thinking about the Intel Desktop Board D925XECV2/D925XEBC2 for my new motherboard. If I were to use the D925XECV2, I would have to upgrade my case, but I am probably going to upgrade my power supply anyway, so I figured I might as well do the case as well. BTW, what size power supply do you think I will need?

For one, the 2Ghz processor requires an mPGA478 socket, but the newer motherboards with PCI Express (needed for the X700 pro) have an LGA775 socket. Will I be able to just transfer the processor, or will I have to get a new one?

Also, the ram is just 184-pin DDR SDRAM. The newer motherboards have 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM sockets. I am assuming that I wont be able to just trasfer the current RAM, and just add 512 more. Will I be able to use the DDR SDRAM, or will I have to go with the DDR2?

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

dude just get a whole new comp, it sounds like ur buying brand new everything, i was gonna upgrade but i just resorted to buying all new evrything, it worked out better. i dont think u will beable to transfer either the ram or processor!!!

Eh.

Wat speeds is ur ram. is it one stick??
Do you have enough space on ur mobo to make it up to 1 gig???

seeing as to how you have only a 500 dollar limit, it's going to be soooo harddddd.

How long do you plan on keeping this set up by the way???

Cause if it's only for a year or so.

I'd recommend going the Socket 754 way.

Amd64 2800+ 120 USD
MSI nForce3 250 Chipset K8N Neo Platinum 103 USD
Keep ur 512 mb ram, and buy another stick for around 70 dollars. Putting you at 1 gig. Goood enough
Leadtek 6600GT (better than your x700 pro) 216 USD

This should give you a decent gaming rig for the next year or so. Plus, you can get the most out of your amd64 by buying a decent copper cooler for around 30 bucks or so and oc'ing it up to 2.4 ghz. The cpu oc's nicely.

So in total that comes up to 540 bucks. I think this really is the best thing you can get for 500 bucks, unlesss you wanna buy a processor and mobo first. And den wait a while for your bank to filll up.
If u wish to do that, den i say go with socket 939 mobo and a amd64 3500+. Get some ram, and wait till u got enough money for a video card. BTW. I hear that ATI is releasing a x800 pro with 128 mb GDDR3 memory for only 200 USD. But that will happen with the actual release of the x850 line, which will be sometime this jan. Hopefully.

Most newer motherboards have pretty desent sound. I would just stick with that unless you want more out of it. Definitely get a dedicated video card. You can feel free to use your older optical drives or HDD and floppy if you wish. Get new memory and processor.

Back
Top Bottom