Computer shutting itself down

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's odd though, first time I've had a BSOD in forever, tried once more and all I had was the crash. This weekend I'm testing out my video card on another computer to see if it is the problem or not. Again, thanks to all of you for the information and help, I'll probably be back to post updates on the situation if it's okay by you guys.

Oki doki, well, I'm pretty lost at this point in time. I don't think it could have anything to do with heating. I have 2 back fans (80 mm) one side fan (120 mm) and one front fan (80), plus the fans on the CPU, GPU, and PSU. Putting my hand in it while gaming I can feel that it seems cool. The PSU is moderately warm, but never gets really hot per se. The GPU seems to get pretty hot after a while.

Also, my FPS seems to be fine during gameplay, it never really even drops, where as when I am having heating issues I hear you tend to get lag spikes on and off, or constantly.

Okay, something new happened. I was giving TF2 another shot, and out of nowhere, my game freezes, but not my computer. I alt tab out and I get a message saying that Nvidia's drivers have failed, but windows managed to recover them or something.

Alrighty, my mistake, I'll start putting everything into one post. And yeah, they are all crashes I guess you could say. But with the way things are I am still unable to determine whether it is my video card or my psu.

Nvidia driver crashs happen often, well, they do with me. Try updating your drivers after removing the old ones. But, a BSOD will not result in a flat out power down, never has, a restart, yes, but a total shut down, no.

Your only option is to pull the GPU and test in another machine, or pull the PSU and get a better brand name, as that brand is a crap brand. We can not diagnose further until you start trying with different parts, at this point, all we can do is flat out just guess, PSU, or GPU. My money is still on the PSU not providing enough power to the gpu, which WILL cause a driver failure as the gpu "fails".

BTW, the most obvious thing that points to a PSU failure, it this. (Though some motherboards with OVP will mimick this)

The issue is, during game, at no random timed interval, my computer will literally shut off instantaneously. Sometimes it will occur, other times I will be lucky enough for it to not happen. The key is, once everything shuts off at once, I try to turn on my computer with the power button to no avail. In order to actually start my computer back up, I have to unplug the power supply unit, hit the switch on it, wait until I hear this noise that sounds like the psu is actually totally off. Plug it in, switch it on, and then hit the power button.

A failing GPU wouldn't even cause that, unless the copper traces had somehow, magically shorted together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom