Computer shuts itself off even before bios shows.

sms4001

Solid State Member
Hey guys so I have a really weird problem. The other day i was dusting the outside of my case with a tissue and all of a sudden it turned off. So now whenever I try to turn it on.. it shuts it self off right away. The fans all go on though. I thought it might be the power supply but I just checked that in another computer and it started up fine.

I have unplugged just about everything from my computer and it still just shuts off right away. The only little clue i got is when I unplug both the CPU power plugs from the motherboard and turn it on.. then it does not shut off. but if i turn it off and plug them in again.. it turns off.. I took off the CPU and cleaned it and everything.. it looked fine.. and it still does the same thing... I am at a loss here. I am going to try to find someone with another processor to try but seems kinda weird that it would just suddenly die with no warning... here are my specs

CPU: intel x6800
power supply: OCZ 700w
MB: EVGA 680i (122-CK-NF68-A1)
and I have vista 32 bit.

Sounds like something may be shorting it out..

I had this sort of problem and it turned out there was a screw between my motherboard and case causing it to shut off almost immediately.

If nothing else I'd disassemble the whole pc and reassemble

Sounds like something may be shorting it out..

I had this sort of problem and it turned out there was a screw between my motherboard and case causing it to shut off almost immediately.

If nothing else I'd disassemble the whole pc and reassemble

I'd go with what he said; a short or a dead mobo.

ok I will have to try that then.. do you think there's any chance it would be the CPU? would it at least get to bios even if the CPU was dead?

EDIT: seems like it has to be the MB now.. I just took out all the ram and when i turn it on it stays on and just does the long beep. the second i put the ram back in... it turns off again... so it's not the cpu... and i tried an older stick of ram i had and it still does it.. so the ram is good.

I would at least try resetting the CMOS before writing off the motherboard. Usually a jumper setting, but sometimes you can just remove the big watch battery for a few seconds. I've had similar symptoms before when overclocking too far and had to reset CMOS to get everything working again. Of course if you were just dusting and didn't change any settings then yeah, you're motherboard may have just died.

Back
Top Bottom