computer shuts down

danny991

Beta member
I have a Hewlett Packard computer that is about a year old. It has Windows XP Home with the service pack installed. The problem is that the last few days when I turn it on, it boots and goes to desktop as usual, but after a while it just shuts down on its own. It could be on five minutes or about an hour before this happens. When it does this it is just like it went into hibernation. The screen goes black and the computer doesn't shut completely off . I can move the mouse and push escape and nothing happens. If I try to go to system restore it says I do not have administrative permission. I am the only one whose name in on the computer. Thanks for any help.

Go into safe mode and make sure that you are the administrator. Sometimes in Safe Mode there will be a different account labeled Administrator that wasn't there before. Also check for any other things on startup that could be affecting it.

I didn't see how to go to safe mode. I saw setup and system recovery. I guess I will try system recovery and just erase everything. When the computer comes on a warning pops up that says Open File- Security Warning Name serbw.exe Publisher- Unknown Type Application From C:\WINDOWS\system32 I have to click on either run or cancel about four times before it does anything. It continues booting until it is almost done and then says this again. Thanks for the reply.

I did that and it had Administator and me as a user. I clicked on administrator and went to system restore and it said System restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on system restore contact your domain anministator. What should I do next? Thanks.

Well if possible screw system restore and try and reformat. If you cannot then check startup for any things thta could be causing it. Do you have a firewall? because you should make sure you are not getting hacked.

I have a firewall but I have let my antivirus run out. Do you think I have a virus? Do you think I should order Norton anti virus and try that?

well get an anti-virus but i cant be sure thats whats casuing it, but its always good to have one.
Some firewalls can get hacked by and someone could be using an administrative remote tool to shut down your computer.

Back
Top Bottom