Computer shutdown/boot lock up's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike V

Baseband Member
I am having problems with this computer shutting down, booting and even sometimes while surfing the internet. It locks up about 50% of the time shutting down, and locks up while booting maybe 25% of the time. Sometimes while on the internet a web page will just freeze and upon pressing cntrl/alt/delete once I get the message that Internet Explorer is not responding.
When I choose *End Task* it freezes the system and I have to hit the reset button on the case.

These problems started when I installed my MSI G4 MX440 card a few weeks back. I have updated to the newest drivers for the video card but that has not made any difference.

Should I reinstall Win98SE on top of itself to get the drivers and software back to normal or will that work?

My system is a 400 MHz Celeron, Super Micro P6SBA Mobo, 256MB Micron RAM, WD 80 GB HDD, MSI G4MX440 video card, Diamond Monster Sound MX 300 sound card.

I appreciate any help

Mike

Have all available windows updates been done? If not I would try that first.

From my experience, re-installing 98 on top of itself will create many more problems than it will fix.

Probably just time for an FFR.

Ecniv said:
Have all available windows updates been done? If not I would try that first.

From my experience, re-installing 98 on top of itself will create many more problems than it will fix.

Probably just time for an FFR.

I just checked for Windows updates and found 5 critical updates as well as a few other Win98 updates that I downloaded and installed. I'll let you know if that cured it.

What is an FFR by the way?

Mike

Mike, what are your computers specs? They probably aren't that great if you are running Win98se. Consider getting a new OS, XP, or a new comp cause now you can probably get a computer better then the one you have now for 600 bucks.

Randy,

Thanks for the answer.

As I stated in my original post I am running the following:

400 MHz Celeron, Super Micro P6SBA Mobo, 256MB Micron RAM, WD 80 GB HDD, MSI G4MX440 video card, Diamond Monster Sound MX 300 sound card.

I am trying to save up to build another computer since I built this one over 4 years ago and it is getting dated.

I am thinking of building an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton with 512MB of Mushkin PC2700 RAM, on the MSI K7N2G-LISR (NVIDIA nForce2 IGP) motherboard. That should be a kick butt system compared to this slowpoke. :)

I was trying to get work to let me have one of my four weeks of vacation without taking time off so that I could build this system, but they said no so I have to wait longer now.

Mike

be sure to go back to the update site and keep checking after you install the updates until it says that there are none available.

An FFR means FDISK, FORMAT and REINSTALL. Its basically wiping your entire hard drive clean and starting over.

Ecniv,

Thanks for the info.

I understood what you were probably referring to, I just never saw it abbreviated that way. :)

Mike

Ecniv said:
be sure to go back to the update site and keep checking after you install the updates until it says that there are none available.

An FFR means FDISK, FORMAT and REINSTALL. Its basically wiping your entire hard drive clean and starting over.

I hate the thought of even doing that. It is a LOT of work reinstalling drivers for everything including the cable modem, not to mention a lot of software progs. That will definitely be a last resort. :D

Mike

Always is, unfortunatly, its sometimes the only way.

Thanks MicroBell.

It's been alright so far today with no lockups during web surfing.

I am not sure about shut-down as I have had it on all day.

We'll see.

Regarding the Diamond sound card you mentioned, I have had a conflict (Yellow tag) in device Manager for months now on the 'Monster Sound II Sound Blaster Pro Emulation.'

The Device Status under properties says:

This device cannot find any free Direct Memory Access (DMA) resources to use. (Code 12)

I have never been able to resolve that conflict and it has never caused any problems in the past. Maybe the new card is having an issue with this conflict?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom