Computer running XP keeps restarting

Optimus Ping

Baseband Member
Hi all,

Straight to the issue.

I have a computer running xp that keeps restarting. It has critical software on it so..a reformatting would be my last step. In addition. I am not able to get to the microsoftupdate site to get any updates. That was going to be my first step.

Here's my plan of action tomorrow morning.

1. I have the free version of AVG installed. I'll scan for viruses.
2. If I can get to the internet i'll download adaware and scan.
3. disk clean
4. defragment?
5. I don't install software on it. but could be something from before so I'll un install anything I don't need.
6. I've been reading that it could be a ram issue? That means just replacing the memory stick right?

Any other suggestions?

Oh I did make sure the box was unchecked --where it says restart during system failure and also checked it to write to the system log in event viewer.

Not able to access the pc right at this time thats why I have to wait until tomorrow to work on it.

Thanks for any insight.. feel free to destroy my plan of action if it's not good! lol

if it restarts it could be a task in task manger that runs as a microsoft application but is'nt, this is a virus as I've seen so many people have it, you'll need to figure out what it is, try downloading these:

Adaware
Spybot S&D
CWShredder

If it still does this then, try disabling the automatic restart feature. Once you do this, you might get a blue screen with an error message that should basically tell you what is going wrong with your system. to disable this feature, right click on my computer, select properties then advanced tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", select Settings. Then in "System Failure", uncheck 'Automatically Restart'.

or ir could be software conflicts. Try turning off all programs in MSCONFIG.

Thanks! do you know of a specific virus that might do this? I'll be running AVG free version that should catch everything?

ok

Did virus scan--negative
disk cleanup-not to much on there
defrag--
updated--installed a service pack

Keeps restarting on me for no reason...crap! lol

If software is not the issue then it's time to look under the bonnet.
Shut down and unplug from the wall.
Open up the box and blow it out real good using canned air. Then check the wiring for spots where it may be chaffing on the metal frame. The case is grounded so a bare wire touching the case will cause the power supply to shut down.
It could be an overheating issue so check the fans while it's running. If all that's good it could be the power supply is about to bite the big one. Really the only good way to check that is replace it with a known good PSU and fire it up.
My money's on it's over heating and shutting down.

I agree with setishock, and seem to think this is a heat issue or hardware problem, download something like CPUCOOL and see what temps your PC is running at, a common problem is dust getting in and around the Heatsinc so start looking there, clear all your vents and fans, and check your rams not clogged up but be very careful cleaning them. run a CHKDSK and select repair bad sectors, are you getting any Beep errors when the PC restarts? if so this would indicate a memory problem. if you do not want to reinstall windows try running a windows repair of the XP CD.

As said, it could be hardware. My brother has a restarting problem that is most definitely hardware related, however I've tried to fix it for a few months now and give up. He basically has a brand new system with all different parts. The only parts that are the same from his original setup are the case, optical drives and graphics card... I have the same graphics card as him, so I traded him, I have yet to get a restart on my system and he has again gotten a restart of some form, though he never gives a straight answer, so I dunno if it's what he's normally getting. If that doesn't work, I give up on that and hope he saves up for a new system fast enough.

Hope your situation doesn't turn into that, but sometimes it's hard to figure out which piece of hardware is the problem.

Thanks everyone. I will look under the hood and clean it with compressed air.. one question how can a downloaded program like CPUCOOL tell what temp the pc is running at or if it's running hot?

Back
Top Bottom