Computer Randomly Restarts. Help!

chronox645

Beta member
Hi,
My computer randomly restarts when I use the internet. I have seen other forums, and they suggested overheating, but it never happens when I'm not on the internet. I can stay on the computer for hours offline and it never happens, but when I get on the internet, and am on a website the computer will just restart itself. I have a virus scanner and I have scanned for viruses multiple times but haven't found any. I'm completely out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Sometimes a virus will make your computer restart. That's the first thing i thought about when you said it happened only when you're on the internet. Did you try any online virus scans?

I tried scanning for viruses again, but I still come up with nothing. Is it possible it's a virus that can't be detected by any scanners? mempf suggested that I might have a malfunctioning network card. Is there any way to be sure without replacing it?

I tried the scans that you suggested, and after the scans there was 1 infected file that was disinfected. I've still got the problem though. I don't think it's the network card because I replaced it before and reloaded the software and still had the same problem. Anyhow, thanks for all your help. I'm thinking about just getting a new computer, it's about time for an upgrade anyway. If you can think of anything else thanks, but it's ok anyway.

I wouldnt get a new computer i would atleast try a format first, i think getting a new computer is a bit of an extreme option.

take a look in deivise manager and see if their is a conflict somewhere....

If not , then it could be related to a trojan or a virus that your Anti-virus is not picking up.

check the Run and the Run once folder in the registy to see what is in the startup menu at boot.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> MICROSOFT --> WINDOWS --> RUN

in there check to see if a program is in the folder that you don't want in there, or a program you know , should'nt be in there.

highlight it, and delete it....after that there should be a Run Once floder right below that one.

in there do the same thing you done in the run folder.

also check msconfig/ startup tab, & un-tic the prog's you don't need in there.

Back
Top Bottom