Computer randomly locking up

Mod1Fy

Beta member
My computer randomly freezes completey with no error messages, sometimes within a few minutes of booting other times its fine for a couple days. Since this starting happening there had been no changes to software or hardware. It will freeze in all apps, while browsing internet, gaming or just on desktop. So far I have scanned for viruses using NOD32, and trendmicros housecall. Run adaware pro, and spybot search and destroy. Run my registry cleaner, cleaned all temp files, and defragged. Updates BIOS, Catalyst drivers and disabled active desktop.
When the CPU freezes so does the clock and there are no events in the event logs to correspond to the time that it freezes or even near the time. My CPU, vid card, and mobo temps are all fine. All fans are running fine. I have also run SCANNOW /SFC on my windows installation. And all windows updates are installed. I can't think of anything else apart from replacing memory or PSU and hoping for the best. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Here are my specs

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:54:38 PM, on 8/18/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

AMD 64 3500+
ATI Sapphire x800pro 256 pci-e
asus a8n sli deluxe
1 gig corsair value select (512 * 2 matched)
Antec Sonata case with 350W PSU

this system is about 6 months old and there have been no hardware or software changes recently besides what ive done trying to fix the problem..

It sounds like a hardware issue to me, but it's hard to tell with these sorts of problems. I would start with the memory. Make sure it's seated properly. Try using just one stick or putting them in different slots.

There could also be a loose connection somewhere else. If a piece of hardware disconnects, it could definitely cause a freeze. Just make sure everything's tight.

Like I said, I think it's hardware, but it's hard to tell. Try a system restore to a date before it started happening. Hope this helps!

EDIT> Oh yeah, that PSU is a bit weak. What could be happening is a piece of hardware has its power cut due to a low wattage, and that would have the same effect as the hardware losing its connection. Try a more powerful PSU.

It sounds like it COULD, im not saying it is, but it could be that your not getting enough power from the psu..

thanks for replying so quick...
as for the PSU all the rails are stable and its a bullet proof PSU thats given me now problem in 6 months... ive read of more power hungry system than mine running this PSU no problem.... ive only got one HDD and one disk drive

anyways im going to be running memtest 86 once i find a floppy disk
and ive already checked to make sure everything is seated and connected properly...

as of my first posting this morning is hasnt happened again of course and i was doing video rendering for about 4 hours today... id say 90% of the time it has frozen while im away from the cpu and its sitting idle at desktop only a few times has it frozen while i was using apps and none besides one game where intensive to memory or cpu...

ill let you all know thanks again

Back
Top Bottom