Computer randomly freezes

After seeing all those things you have connected to the USB ports, I can see why you're freezing while on the 'net. All those devices are competing for bandwidth with the internet connection and overloading the USB subsystem.

Multiple items like to pull the bus down quite a bit at times. When seeing that here rather then ordering online I simply picked a small Cyber Power 4 port hub at a local Walmart now used for the dsl adapter, printer, and flash drive. While the retail tag is $30- seen at http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/accessories/usb_hubs/cph420p.html

Walmart had that for just under $20 but not listed online. Newegg sees that for about the same price at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817804003

but do i really need it, could i just unplug the zune, 2 usbs, the hdd and switch the usb to s connection (i have a converter)?

For some things you may need to have plugged into an a usb hub seeing power provided by an ac adapter rather then taxing the usb bus itself. The usb bus itself only sees a total of 5v at 100 mA or milliamps supporting upto a 5.25v draw maximum.

Once exceeded you then need to use a hub since that sees a separate power source from the ac adapter you plug into a wall outlet or power strip. If your board gets pulled down too fast or you have a bad port or two that will tend to cause problems with certain addons like illuminated keyboards and can pose a problem for usb internet connections.

To reduce the demand on the board's own bus the recommendation would be to go for a hub and see if you notice an improvement overall. If you already have a working hub onhand try plugging a few items into that rather then direct to the ports.

You can see usb problems with a clean install of Windows on a brand new primary if the usb is being pulled down. That's hardware not software related there.

hmmm...i was thinking about repairing windows, because my computer has gone haywire lately

first the recycle bin couldn't empty

then it disappeared

then i couldn't access the control panel and none of the icons would show up

when playing starcraft, every now and then it would close out and say something about error writing memory.....

yet starcraft.exe is still running in the task manager

my computer is still continuing to freeze everynow and then,

i think ill take dodge's advice

i look up into the usb thing

edit: oh yea, after running the chkdsk and fixing the "error", i somehow got back 7gb of free space in my hard drive. i turned off system restore points and regularly run cleanups with ccleaner and mcaffee tools. yet the 7gb just appeared out of nowhere.

Some part of starcraft may have ended up in the startup folder if you are seeing that running without even starting the game up. Steam has it's own startup item located in the startup group seen in the msconfig utility which would be a place to start. Any game with an active logon needed will see that.

Running the check disk was a good move since it revealed a few other problems. Check the defrag tool's disk analyzer to see if the drive is starting to show fragmentation to any degree.

Another thing to try would be a good run of memtest to see if the memory is starting to see faults or you are simply having driver issues coming up. Often once video or sound drivers get fudged you will start seeing a list of problems.

Back
Top Bottom