computer ram...

jmac

Beta member
hi,
my pc doesnt have much ram (256mb) and im thinking of buying some more. my current one is: 256MB PC2100 DDR. can i just by any new memory i want or does it have to be a certain type? would it be better to buy two 256mb cards or one 512mb card?

thanks for any help

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
256M is enough RAM to do most things today, unless you are a pretty diehard gammer. My video comp and my laptop(which I do a lot of video and picture editing with) both only have 256Ms and do nicely...

Anyway, no reason you can't upgrade :rolleyes: I don't think it really matters. I have heard somewhere it's better to have one larger chip, and that's how I tipically upgrade my comps. However, as long as the ram speeds match and all, there shouldn't be a problem.

I guess that's all that oculd really cause problems. If the chip speeds are different. Not just the PC2100 and all, but the ns's of the chips.

jmac

Beta member
so what do i have to look for when choosing more ram? what has to match between the new and the old?

jmac

Beta member
how do i find out the speed? is the "pc2100" the speed and the thing that needs to match if i buy some new ram?

alvino

Golden Master
well 256mb would work ok, but i recommend 512mb and is it 184 pin DIMM or is it 164 pin SDRAM?
DIMM has only one notch in the chip, and SDRAM has 2 notches.

jmac

Beta member
the only thing i know about my current ram card is this (256MB PC2100 DDR). the pc is only about 1 year old, im thinkin 512mb PC2100. do u rekon that would work?

alvino

Golden Master
yeah it should be the same slot exept thae fact that its 512mb not 256mb :) i reckon there shouldnt be any problems

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
Sorry for the late reply, but I went to bed afterwards :eek:

Anyway, what I was getting at probably wouldn't make that much of a difference, but I know chips can run at different speeds. I'm not sure if it would make that much, if any difference if you had different speeds, even a really fast and really slow speed.

I know you can check this by reading the chips and usally just looking it up on the net, but probably more trouble than it's worth