Computer question (Mac vs PC)

NLAlston1

Baseband Member
Hi,

My aim is to get more seriously into computer recording, and I have been informed that the best computer for this endeavor would be a Mac. Now, I went out looking, today, at some units, and found that - for about the same money - a PC could be had with twice the numerical processing power of a Mac. The salesperson, however, told me that the 1.5GHz (I believe it was) processor of the G5 I-Mac would more than double the power of a 3.0GHz PC processor. He stated that both these units are calculated quite differently. Could someone please tell me if this is the case?

Also, is the MAC really that much better than the PC - for music applications - to warrant the probable expenditure outlay for the Mac versions of music creation software that I already have for my PC?

if u have been using WINDOWS and have nether used MAC then the WINDOWS because its hard to get use to it i would still pic windows in stead of mac MAC IS A PC LOL

NLAlston said:
Hi,

My aim is to get more seriously into computer recording, and I have been informed that the best computer for this endeavor would be a Mac. Now, I went out looking, today, at some units, and found that - for about the same money - a PC could be had with twice the numerical processing power of a Mac. The salesperson, however, told me that the 1.5GHz (I believe it was) processor of the G5 I-Mac would more than double the power of a 3.0GHz PC processor. He stated that both these units are calculated quite differently. Could someone please tell me if this is the case?

Also, is the MAC really that much better than the PC - for music applications - to warrant the probable expenditure outlay for the Mac versions of music creation software that I already have for my PC?

The difference is found within the processors.....AMD/Intel vs. Motorola.... Yes, you're right with the price of a G5 with a 1.5Ghz Processor (64Bit I might add) you can get yourself an AMD/Intel with two times the processor....But, regardless of the speed PowerPC processors always outperform AMD/Intel in audio/video rendering...Hence why Macintosh is the standard platform for Desktop Publishing.... When it comes to multimedia, rendering power is everything...

Second point, just like PC has a larger selection of Games and home entertainment product...Macintosh has the larger selection of audio and video editiors....

Third point, Macintosh is the easiest OS to use....The only reason why it seems to be soo difficult s because everyone enters the computer age through the eyes of Mircosoft..So. from "conception" users are using the Windows platform....Therefore making Macintosh even more of a "foreign concept..."

I am a computer techinician with A+ & MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) certifications. I am also currently studying for my MCSE. When I'm not working with PC, I am composing music. With these two facts down, can I say that i've experienced computing from both sides and can honestly tell you that when it comes to multimedia there is really nothing like a Macintosh. Just like when it comes to Networking, there is nothing a 2003 Windows Server....

Crysalis,

Thank you very much for this most enlightning reply. The information gained, within it, would have indeed steered me toward the G5 - but further checking, into the price of the towered version, revealed the prohibitiveness of cost. The G4 & G5 I-Macs looked rather interesting, but then the issue was raised about the inability to upgrade. So it looks as though I may be sticking with an AMD processing unit.

Thanks again.

In response to upgrading....Unlike PC systems....Macintoish Systems have a shell life of 3 to 4 years.... If you think about it, after having a system for four years you really can't upgrade it anymore without buying new internals (motherboard, ram, porcessor etc.) So upgrading isn't all that different...

I've had my Mac for over 3 years now and it still works great. Now, is when im starting to plan on purchasing another one...

I really recommend getting a Mac for your multimedia needs.. if you get a G5 you'll be enjoying 64bit processor power (First 64bit Processor on the market BTW). If not then a G4 is still way more powerful than AMD/Intel..

crysalis said:
In response to upgrading....Unlike PC systems....Macintoish Systems have a shell life of 3 to 4 years.... If you think about it, after having a system for four years you really can't upgrade it anymore without buying new internals (motherboard, ram, porcessor etc.) So upgrading isn't all that different...

I've had my Mac for over 3 years now and it still works great. Now, is when im starting to plan on purchasing another one...

I really recommend getting a Mac for your multimedia needs.. if you get a G5 you'll be enjoying 64bit processor power (First 64bit Processor on the market BTW). If not then a G4 is still way more powerful than AMD/Intel..

Good enough, then. If I can really swing the $1300+ (have to sell something first) for that G5 I-Mac I will definitely get it. Thanks again.

I am a computer techinician with A+ & MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) certifications. I am also currently studying for my MCSE. When I'm not working with PC, I am composing music. With these two facts down, can I say that i've QUOTE{experienced computing from both sides and can honestly tell you that when it comes to multimedia there is really nothing like a Macintosh. Just like when it comes to Networking, there is nothing a 2003 Windows Server....

Why be big headed about what you are just put a post up [hate it when people do this] so does all my mates from reading this post ]

Mac OS 10 is indeed nice, but I would still go with a PC. PC can be used for quite a bit more... crysalis since when do macs have more music editing programs then PC's? You obviously haven't checked out open source programs for linux that are available today.

Back
Top Bottom