Computer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anubius

Baseband Member
My fathers computer is having problems. First of when you turn it on the monitor will stay on for about a minute then just act like it is in Power save mode, (like when you are idle) but when you move the mouse or do anything it doesnt cut back on. Secondly when i try to turn the computer off, it wont i have to go to the Surge protector to cut off the computer. Now i have some ideas of whats wrong but i am by no means an expert. I think it is either the video card, Motherboard or Processor. The processor is running at 113 degrees Fairenhiet (45 degrees Celsius) which i think is hot but not too hot. ( i could be wrong). The Video card he has is a ATI Xtasy 9200. I have the same video card and i have had mine longer and have no trouble out of mines but that doesnt mean anything, but i wouldnt think it would account for the whole computer not turning off think so im leaning to Motherboard. My question is, is my assumption correct or could it be a software problem. (i.e. Virus etc.). Fathers Computer Specs are as follows. Intel Celeron 2.0 GHz processor and a compatible motherboard, Dont remember the make or model but i did build the computer. 512 megs of ram and he runs windows 2000. The Computer is about 2 or 3 years old. Any help is appreciatable.

-Anubius

Well, when does the monitor turn off? When loading XP? After logging in? Be a little more specific with that. Also, can you tell if the computer is frozen when that happens or is it just the monitor? If you have enough time, try to play some music on it before the monitor goes out and see if it keeps going.

once the monitor goes off, turn it off and back on. It sounds like maybe a monitor problem, if the power off/on thing doesnt work, then try using a different cable. Is it and lcd screen? Also, something could have recently fallen under the mobo, grounding it to the case. That happened to me in one build, and everything ran fine, but the screen wouldnt come on.

EDIT:
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=110551

The times that the monitor cuts off is no consistant it will cut off when loading 2000 and sometimes it will cut off before then. and as for what kind of monitor he has a flat screen CRT monitor that is less than a year old. And the computer has been been built for atleast 3 years so its not grounding. and no the computer doesnt freeze it keeps doing its thing and i cant get it to load 2000 all the way before it cuts off so i cant play music. I even tried switching out video cards and putting the old card in a diffrent pci slot and it doesnt help. Thanks in Advance

-Anubius

It dont think it would be a monitor problem. I had a similar problem not long ago when i tried to play Oblivion, during the game the monitor would go to power save mode because the video card couldnt handle it. Im sure that the most likely problem he has is with his video card, but i dont know why it would cut out other than there being a fault in it.

Its not a video card problem me and him have the same video card and i switched his out with mine and still has the problem.

Try booting in safe mode. It may be a driver problem or windows corruption. If there is still a problem in safe mode its most likely a hardware problem, ram, mobo, hardrive ect.

ok tried to boot in safe mode but did the same thing as it did just booting regularly. so its hardware. I have ruled out processor video card and monitor (using my fathers right now actually) so is my assumption correct in saying its the motherboard and how likely is it to be ram. Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom