Computer Problems: Power Supply and Video Cards

Killem

Solid State Member
So I've had my Gateway Desktop (GT5658E) for about 3 years now. Last year I installed an XFX Radeon HD 4770 but I forgot that I needed to upgrade my power supply with it. It still ran for awhile but then my computer started to make a grinding noise. At first I replaced my hard drive. And the noise came back. Then I replaced case fan. The noise came back. Then I replaced the CPU Fan. Yeah, the noise was still there. So Then I finally made the connection between my Video Card which needed 450 watts of power and my power supply which was a 300 watt. So I replaced it with this XFX P1-650X-CAG9 yesterday. But now its not working at all. I turn it on and it doesn't do anything. Nothing comes up on teh screen. I'm wondering if I plugged something in the wrong way. Plus the noise the PSU makes is LOUD. I can hear it through walls. I think its the new PSU but in the reviews I read it said that he fan should be fairly quiet. Is there a way I could've installed in wrong that would make so loud?

Here's some pictures I took, I can take more specific ones if you thing it would help.

http://picasaweb.google.com/TAS.Killem/ComputerPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCPDF-Zi4v6mHZQ&feat=directlink

Also, if I broke any rules on this board please let me know, I read them but maybe I missed one.

Welcome to CF Killem!

You haven't broken any rules on the forums so no worries. Thanks for the pics too, always helps!

I don't think that a faulty installation of the PSU would cause noise that loud that can heard through the walls, may you got a DoA (Dead on Arrival) PSU and just need to send it back and get a new one. There shouldn't be an issue with PSU that you described as it has plenty of juice to fuel those parts.

Could it also be that its quiet but to me its loud because the only other fan I've heard is a stock fan? Thanks for the response!

Do you suggest contacting XFX or Newegg then? Or both?

its probably your case Gateway doesn't use the nicest cases

is there a 8 or 4 pin plug on your mobo?

its probably your case Gateway doesn't use the nicest cases

is there a 8 or 4 pin plug on your mobo?
4 Pin would be my guess. Is the 4-Pin one with the black and yellow wires what you mean?
100_0790.JPG

I just discovered something odd... I started the computer with out the side panel and it sounded fine. But with it on it makes a loud ass noise. Could a wire be pinched or something like that?

So does anyone have an idea why my computer won't turn on and why it makes the loud noise with the side panel on?

EDIT: Nevermind... as it turns out it was the new graphics card I got... The PSU runs awesome. Go figure?

Back
Top Bottom