Computer Powering Down

Frost17

Baseband Member
Issue:

Computer Powers automatically shuts off without warning after about 20 minutes of use.

Other Facts Considered:

Thought it may be a heating issue, but do not think so. Have a koolance case that is water cooled with three fans and two internal fans also. Has a heat temperature sensor that beeps if temperature reads of I believe around 120F. Temperature is reading a constant 92F.

Specs:

AMD Venice Core 3500+
1 GB Corsair RAM
AIW 9800 Graphics Card
320 GB HD
Plextor DVD Burner
Audigy 2 ZS Soundcard

All other functions are working fine. Computer will just shutdown after about 20 minutes of use. If try to repower on, a clicking noise (sounds like it may be coming from HDD or Floppy Disk). Computer usually repowers on, then shuts off after about 5 minutes of use.

What do you think?

Are those temperatures in Fahrenheit or Celsius. Many people assume they are displayed as Fahrenheit, when they are really Celsius.

If your running at 92F then its no where near a overheating issue. My computer hits 40-54C's which is around 100F+.

Did you change any thing around inside the computer recently? Like add a new fan etc?

No. It is in F. That's why I believe its not heating related. No new fans. Nothing has changed.

Any thoughts?

Dont take my word for this, but if your hard drive is S.M.A.R.T capable, check your condition of your hard drive. The clicking noise could be a lot of things including hard drive failure. Speedfan has a S.M.A.R.T status, if you have the program. If the hard drive status is ok, then my best suggestion is to reset your bios according to your motherboards instructions.
Hope i was of some assistance

I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how it goes!

Rockwall:

I think you may be on to something. I just downloaded SpeedFan and here are the errors I got (just copied and pasted the notes at the bottom). I have two HDD. Here is HDD 1:

NOTE : your hard disk Power On Hours Count attribute current value (91) is below the normal range (96 - 100) reported for your specific hard disk model. Basically your hard disk was powered on for more than the maximum time the average user did. This means that either all of the reports collected are from hard disks that were not powered on for too long (this is realistic for recent models) or that your hard disk is becoming old. Usually this is not considered as a pre-failure advisory, but you should check whether you want to replace the hardware or keep an eye on its performances over time.

This is HDD 2

NOTE : your hard disk has 35 reallocated sectors. Hard disks do have spare sectors (usually from 256 up to 1024) used to replace bad ones. This remapping operation is transparent to the end user. Anyway, this can lead to degradated performances (because remapped sectors are in different places of the disk than the original ones and the head needs additional moving). If reallocated sectors grow over time, you might encounter some serious troubles. A backup of the most important data is suggested anyway.

NOTE : your hard disk has 1 pending sectors. Those are sectors that couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

Looks likje HDD 2 Has some major problems - I am not even using it and their is no data on it. Do you think just disconnecting it may solve my problems based on what they said? Or is their a way of repairing it? Also should I be worried about HDD 1? HDD 1 Scored at 99% overall health and HDD 2 scored at 60%.

Okay, disconnected the one HDD. Took care of the clicking noise. Computer boots up amazingly faster and seemed to be working okay again for about 20 minutes. Was about to post to say thanks its working great and then it powered off.

Restarted... no clicking noise... booted up very quickly, shutoff about a minute.

Thoughts? What is going on?

Back
Top Bottom